A question on grouping

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by n9ke, Jul 16, 2015.

1. n

n9ke New Member Member

Hi, please don't take this as a smart butt question, but it seems that almost all fishes that are schooling are recommended to be in a number of 6 or more. I am just wondering why six? (as in why not 5 or 7 or more?. Am new and learning a lot. Thanks!
    Kevin

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Ideally schooling fish should be kept in large numbers but a lot of tanks aren't big enough to do that so a minimum number of 6 is suggested

3. OP
    OP
    n

n9ke New Member Member

Thanks you for the welcome and the answer. Seeing it as a minimum (don't really understand why i did not process that myself) makes sense.

4. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore, n9ke!!!

I didn't take your question as being facetious at all. I hope you will be happy here with all of us and continue to feel free to ask questions and contribute the answers that you do know.

5. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

As some other people say on this forum, the only dumb question are the ones that never get asked.

If you have any questions, even if you think it's a dumb question, ask anyway we are all glad to help out :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I've seen a lot of websites say 3, and your fish may seem happy in a group of 3, but they won't show their true behavior. They'll be much happier with 6+ and you will see closer to their true personalities.

7. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

I like to think of it like 6 or more are "ideal" and less than 6 are "less than ideal".

:;hi1

Oh and welcome to Fishlore!

8. OP
    OP
    n

n9ke New Member Member

Thank you all for the welcome. I am certain soon I will be asking more! Starting now with a 20 gallon tank, but I see there will be more.........

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and welcomerainbow.gif to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken

10. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

like most things are it is more of a guide then a fact. If you can only have 5 i wouldn't bother adding 1 more because personally i dont find it worth the hassle.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yeah, agreed with smee82...... 5 is OK, bare min, but 6 is recommended.

12. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

This. If you aren't asking questions, you aren't really learning anything.

And I look at six as a bare minimum. Ideally you would have 20+ of the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice