A question about neons and schooling

Randomfishlover

I am planning to get both black and regularly colored neon tetra and since I have never kept them I was wondering if the two would school together or not. (I'm getting enough for them to make separate schools if they'd like).

BigManAquatics

I have seen some places say NO, but i don't know from experience, i haven't kept any kinds of neons. I like my serpaes :)

Upvote 0

StarGirl

They may swim together but wont "school" together.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Despite the similar names, they're completely different species, so no, they won't shoal together any more than either would with any other tetra species.

Upvote 0

JLAquatics

If you are planning on doing a community tank with a school of Tetras, do yourself a favor and pick one or the other (unless you have a very large tank). Getting a larger school of one single type of Tetra will not only benefit them with their larger numbers and encourage them to have more natural behaviors, but it will make your tank look much better IMO. Having a few of many different types of Tetra will just make your tank look too busy. What size tank are you planning on adding the Tetras to?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zeeth29
Replies
Views
psalm18.2
  • Question
Replies
Views
AvaTheFish