A question about Gill Flukes

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I have a question for you guys. How are Gill Flukes spread? My betta, Chi, recently got treated for them, and I'm about 99% sure I've killed them.

That said, I'll be going home for 10 days in a week, and I was wanting to switch him out with one of bettas at home. I'm considering two of them. One is in a community tank, and other buy him self (at a friends house).

If I were to switch Chi for the betta in the community, would I risk the chance of spreading the Flukes to those fish, as well as to the fish I'm trading for, because he'll be going in to the tank Chi was in?

The second part of that question also applies to the other betta. Would putting him in the tank that Chi was in give him Flukes?

I hope that made sense! XD

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

No body know?

:p

3. yukoandk Member Member

I would say yes, this will be a classic case of cross contamination. But it doesn't mean you will have outbreaks if your fish are healthy and your tanks are well mainteined. You need to inspect your fish for flukes (or other pathgens) with a microscope to know for sure if you still have them or not. Hope this helps.

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't have access to a microscope, but Chi seems to have gotten over it. Guess we'll never know :p