Question A Qestion Of Cories And Stocking

Raptor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey, I have a newely set up and freshly cycled 20 gallon long tank that needs stocking. I'd asked advice previously on good numbers of fish to stock it with and what to stock it with. I eventually settled on:

8 x Zebra Danios
1 x Dwarf Gouramis
8 x Panda Cories

I'd been suggested to not really worry about the "Inch per gallon" rule, and due to their low Bio-load I should be fine to stock more than that. I just wanted to make sure that's good, I have 3 Zebra Danios right now, and I'm planning to grab 3 more next week. (Giving a 2 week period to make sure water conditions will be fine)

So, in short: Is that list good for a 20 gallon long? Not too much?

Secondly, I'm having a bad time trying to find Panda Cories. So far I haven't seen a -single- Panda Corie for sale in any of my local pet stores or aquarium stores. However, I've seen other kinds of Panda Corydoras, like Skunk and Pepper Cories?

From what I've been able to research, they're relatively the same as a Panda Cory with only general appearance being different. I just wanted to make sure that was the case. Can you mix and match them since they still need to be in large groups?

I'm still quite a few weeks off from stocking them but, I figured better to get that answer early. Thank you for the help.

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey, I have a newely set up and freshly cycled 20 gallon long tank that needs stocking. I'd asked advice previously on good numbers of fish to stock it with and what to stock it with. I eventually settled on:

8 x Zebra Danios
1 x Dwarf Gouramis
8 x Panda Cories

I'd been suggested to not really worry about the "Inch per gallon" rule, and due to their low Bio-load I should be fine to stock more than that. I just wanted to make sure that's good, I have 3 Zebra Danios right now, and I'm planning to grab 3 more next week. (Giving a 2 week period to make sure water conditions will be fine)

So, in short: Is that list good for a 20 gallon long? Not too much?

Secondly, I'm having a bad time trying to find Panda Cories. So far I haven't seen a -single- Panda Corie for sale in any of my local pet stores or aquarium stores. However, I've seen other kinds of Panda Corydoras, like Skunk and Pepper Cories?

From what I've been able to research, they're relatively the same as a Panda Cory with only general appearance being different. I just wanted to make sure that was the case. Can you mix and match them since they still need to be in large groups?

I'm still quite a few weeks off from stocking them but, I figured better to get that answer early. Thank you for the help.
Hihi. Cory cats love sand, they sift it in their mouths and out their gills all day long, i suggest sand. As for your cory questions. Different corys will not school together. Peppered corys are cooler water fish and can get a bit bigger than pandas i believe. Can your LFS order your fish for you? Often they will if you ask.

Happy fish keeping

Raptor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hihi. Cory cats love sand, they sift it in their mouths and out their gills all day long, i suggest sand. As for your cory questions. Different corys will not school together. Peppered corys are cooler water fish and can get a bit bigger than pandas i believe. Can your LFS order your fish for you? Often they will if you ask.

Happy fish keeping
The substrate is already a pebbly gravel. Should I not get Cories then? Would there be another suitable bottom swimmer?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't keep corys on this gravel. Food will easily get outnof reach with two risks :
Corys reaching for it can damager their head / eyes.
Food that got out of reach will start decaying causing ammonia/nitritespikes and bad bacterial growth.

Raptor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't keep corys on this gravel. Food will easily get outnof reach with two risks :
Corys reaching for it can damager their head / eyes.
Food that got out of reach will start decaying causing ammonia/nitritespikes and bad bacterial growth.
Shoot, well, do you have any other advice then? Maybe other bottom swimmers that might be more suitable for a 20 gallon community tank?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shoot, well, do you have any other advice then? Maybe other bottom swimmers that might be more suitable for a 20 gallon community tank?
Cause all bottomdwellers will feed on the bottom they will have the same issues I'd say. Sorry. Maybe it is an option to change it partly for sand?

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could swap out for sand. I did that when i started keeping corys. It was quite the task due to an already established tank but I've been soooo happy ever since.

Corys actually sift the substrate for food. Im sure you can find a youtube video somewhere. Its quite relaxing to watch.

Raptor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help! I'll switch out the substrate as soon as I can. (It'll be easier to change the substrate with only 3 Danios as opposed to having 8, less having to net them out and probably less stressful. )

I'm looking forwards to also being able to use live plants in the substrate (A longer term goal of mine once I got used to taking care of a basic fish tank with plastic plants), thanks again for the advice!

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the help! I'll switch out the substrate as soon as I can. (It'll be easier to change the substrate with only 3 Danios as opposed to having 8, less having to net them out and probably less stressful. )

I'm looking forwards to also being able to use live plants in the substrate (A longer term goal of mine once I got used to taking care of a basic fish tank with plastic plants), thanks again for the advice!
Ohhhh plants!!!!!! You'll love them!!!

Youre welcome for advice any time. FL is a wonderful resource.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the help! I'll switch out the substrate as soon as I can
What about only removing some of the gravel, and slowly adding clean (rinsed) sand a bit at a time? The sand will settle and fill the space between the gravel (over a few weeks). I have this setup in a couple tanks with cories and it’s works well. The top of the sand should be within 1/4” of the top of the gravel, after settling (IME).

Raptor

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cause all bottomdwellers will feed on the bottom they will have the same issues I'd say. Sorry. Maybe it is an option to change it partly for sand?
You could swap out for sand. I did that when i started keeping corys. It was quite the task due to an already established tank but I've been soooo happy ever since.

Corys actually sift the substrate for food. Im sure you can find a youtube video somewhere. Its quite relaxing to watch.
What about only removing some of the gravel, and slowly adding clean (rinsed) sand a bit at a time? The sand will settle and fill the space between the gravel (over a few weeks). I have this setup in a couple tanks with cories and it’s works well. The top of the sand should be within 1/4” of the top of the gravel, after settling (IME).
The sand substrate change was a complete success! Theres a much reduced layer of gravel beneath the sand. But the tank looks great now, I'll be switching out the plastic plants for live ones over time. Thank you again so much for all of your advice, I assume this is a much better looking home for Cories?

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Applause !!!! Wel done.
One more thing about the Corys : Have a bit of patience with buying them. Let the sand "ripen" a bit (getting bacteriaflora).

Sometimes corys will get red blotch disease. A lot is unknown but it often occures on brand new substrate, so there is probablu a link with that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom