Help A protruding scale?

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm assuming it's from being attacked by my other male Red Wag Platy, but my male Red Wag Platy has a scale protruding from it's side. There doesn't seem to be any other problems, just a random scale sticking out.
Water paramaters are okay, pH is kinda' high because I let my tank go without a test kit for a bit: 7.8 (but I'm using a neutral regulator chem to level it out)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
temp: 80 F

Should I remove the scale so a new one can grow back? If so, should I quaratine him? I think that the baby gup is too big to fit in the platy's mouth at this point, so it could be okay in there.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would just leave him be, unless the attacks continue. Be careful messing with pH adjusting. Hope it all works out

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Ben,

I recommend to just leave the fish alone. Mother nature will help his scales. Keep his water as pristine as you can. Some Vita Chem and Garlic Guard will also aid in his healing.

I also recommend that you stop using chemicals to alter your pH levels. Most fish for the aquarium hobby can adapt to the pH levels right from the tap. Chemicals used to alter pH levels are very unstable and can lead to a pH crash resulting in fish loss. Sudden fluctuations in pH can be fatal.

Your pH of 7.8 is fine

There are more natural ways to alter your pH levels mentioned in the link below:
Properly Maintaining the pH in a Freshwater Aquarium - Rate My Fish Tank

Best wishes!
Ken

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks.
Well, it's actually a conditioner/neutral pH regulator.

That's it, I am not just using it to lower pH but remove chlorine, ammonia, etc.

EDIT: Plus it's working suuuuuper slow. It's been a week and my pH has only been lowered from 8.2 to 7.8. I thought it would like drop from the sky, quick. That did scare me a little. I did a 40% water change and added a little bit more. We'll see how that turned out in about a day when it's had some time to take it's effect.

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I recommend changing from the Neutral pH Regulator and use Prime or Amquel + and Nova Aqua to name a few of the top 3 conditioners. Any type of chemical used to alter your natural pH levels is very risky as I mentioned.

Prime

Amquel +

Nova Aqua +

The links above are to the conditioners I've mentioned. Personally I use Amquel + and Nova Aqua +. Prime is used by many members on Fish Lore and highly recommended.

Have a good weekend!

Ken

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pH shot back up to 8.2 today. What am I doing wrong?! I do frequent water changes, vacuum the gravel out, I have a decent filter running all the time. What's the matter? I don't overfeed or anything.
And that pH regulator put a white film on he inside walls of my tank. It's nearly impossible to see in.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Did you stop adding the pH regulator? Did you miss a dose of the pH regulator? That's the problem with chemicals used to alter your pH levels. They cause the pH to swing all over the place not to mention clouding the water.

Your fish are going to be much happier and safer by not using the pH regulator. It's much more important to maintain a pH naturally to help prevent these swings. If your pH swings down then chances are you're going to lose some fish. Sudden changes in pH levels can be fatal. When the pH increases it isn't so bad, but a sudden drop can kill all of the fish in your tank.

As I mentioned, most fish for the aquarium hobby will adapt to the pH right from the tap. It's much easier to maintain a certain pH level by frequent water changes.

Ken

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, more frequent water changes it is. It's not that I didn't add any, it's that this stuff is ****. It says to dose on a monthly basis, I did weekly and that's how I managed to make the pH drop. It was just experimenting though. I might not use any of that stuff anymore.
I'll get some of that Nova Aqua and maybe the Amquel. Maybe even some Prime. I've been looking into getting some for a while but didn't really see a drastic need to do so.
Thanks!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i just wanted to say i use prime and it's a great product. it has kept my fish safe in mini cycle situations. i recommend you get some! and really the less chemicals you use in your tank, the better. actually, that can be applied to everything in life

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

If you decide on Prime then you don't need the Amquel + and Nova Aqua +.

Amquel + is recommended to be used with Nova Aqua +. (<---I use these)

All 3 are recommended a lot on this site.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom