A 'pregnant' clownfish and a lot of questions

Kaylaclownfish

I got 2 x 2 year old clown fish about 6 weeks ago from a local pet store. One of them was double the size of the other and they seem to love each other so I suspected they are a 'mated pair'. In the last 24 hours, the big one (suspected female) has become 'pregnant'. I have a lot of questions and would be so appreciative of any advice!
The photo is just to show what she looks like but is off the internet.

1. How long will it be before she lays the eggs?
2. How likely is it that the male will fertilise the eggs and how long do I wait to see if it will happen?
3. If they are not fertilised, do I remove the eggs from the tank?
4. Do I need to remove the fry from tank? There are no other fish in the tank besides the 2 clownfish.
5. What do I do with the fry that grow up? Can I return them to the pet store for them to sell?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.22.45 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.22.45 pm.png
    725.8 KB · Views: 15

Sofiafish17

I’m not really sure about any of that, it seems like most of us on here just keep freshwater, including me. The only person I’ve ever seen around myself who keeps saltwater is Mike so I just mentioned him so he would get a notification someone said his name. He’s a moderator and administrator on here.

Upvote 0

AvaTheFish

Hey! I'd do some Google reaserch in this one. Good luck! !

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

I got 2 x 2 year old clown fish about 6 weeks ago from a local pet store. One of them was double the size of the other and they seem to love each other so I suspected they are a 'mated pair'. In the last 24 hours, the big one (suspected female) has become 'pregnant'. I have a lot of questions and would be so appreciative of any advice!
The photo is just to show what she looks like but is off the internet.

1. How long will it be before she lays the eggs?
2. How likely is it that the male will fertilise the eggs and how long do I wait to see if it will happen?
3. If they are not fertilised, do I remove the eggs from the tank?
4. Do I need to remove the fry from tank? There are no other fish in the tank besides the 2 clownfish.
5. What do I do with the fry that grow up? Can I return them to the pet store for them to sell?

I would say that once the fry hatch you need to move them or they are very likely to be eaten/killed off. If any of them happen to make it you can definitely sell them/trade them in at most LFS. No shortage of demand for clownfish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Is My Molly Pregnant?
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Question
Replies