A platy!

Discussion in 'Platy' started by philipbouchard-davies, Apr 1, 2010.

1. philipbouchard-daviesValued MemberMember

Hey!! today i got a red wagtail dwarf platy first edition to my new tank! All i can say is love the guy :party0049:

Here he is

And id love to see some cool picture from you people!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

How pretty! they are good and hardy also. Enjoy your new fish and congrats!
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    p

philipbouchard-daviesValued MemberMember

LOl i like him so much im not getting endlers anymore im just gonna get 2 more of these guys or girls haha.

Phil :)

4. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I love my platies! Well, technically they're my son's platies, but for the time being they're in my 55gal tank instead of his 29gal paludarium. :p I'm hoping for some interesting colors because I have one male dawn/parrot platy, three female sunset corals, one female marigold variatus, and one blue rainbow wag. One of the sunset corals is a fry I raised separate from everyone else, so she's definitely virgin. I might also get some "pluppies" (platy/guppy hybrids) because I have one randy male guppy in the tank as well.

5. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

We discussed this in your previous thread and the majority said endlers would be the only thing you could keep a multiple amount of in your tank. Please keep in mind these guys get nearly 3 times the size of endlers.

6. OP
    OP
    p

Not dwarfs...they get to 1.5" so even following the inch.a gallon rule that's only 4.5"

7. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Be careful, though. I have two females that were sold to me as sunset coral dwarfs and they're both 2.5" long. I have one of their fry who I'm assuming is pure sunset coral dwarf (she was the first fry born after I got them home from the store) and she's about 1.5" at three months old.

8. RhanWell Known MemberMember

platy ben and bassbonedica both have very good points.

You must remember that usually the stock at a LFS/LPS is rather young and therefore not fully grown. My sunset platy was supposed to be a dwarf, but she sure isn't! She was small when I bought her a few months ago, but maybe a bit over an inch, and now she's 2.5 inches and is just huge.

The inch per gallon rule isn't really all that reliable. Would you put a 5 inch fish in a 5 gallon? No. A five gallon tank doesn't have a lot of swim room, so only really Endlers and smaller fish would work. Have you looked into sparkling gourami's? They're tiny and so so pretty, amazing looking fish. I believe you can keep at least 2 together, they're supposed be extremely peaceful.

9. OP
    OP
    p

I'm gonna get 1 more platy a cut it at that so even if there not dwarfs they'll be ok just as well, and I'm also going to get another male and their smaller.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice