A pH question

Elvishswimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since I started my tank, I've had a constant high pH of 7.9. I'm not worried about the 'high-ness' of it, because my fish all seem fine. I heard somewhere that goldfish like it a little alkaline anyways.

It's the same pH as the tap water, and I've never worried about it. It had been so stable for so long that I stopped regularly testing it. So it's probably been a month and a half since I have tested for it.

I noticed today that one of my fish was acting a little, different. I'm not sure if I just caught him sleeping funny or something, so it might not be anything. I'll keep an eye on him.

(Aside, I currently have 2 tanks, the main one in my Aq. Info, and a 15G hospital tank because one of my goldies had a bad case of fin rot. All numbers I mention were exactly the same between tanks)

Anyways, I decided to test for everything today, just to rule anything out
Water was good otherwise, 0 NH4, 0 NO2, ~7 NO3.

But the pH was 8.4! I got worried and ran on here to post this, but first read in to try and test again, cause sometimes it shows high. I did and the pH was 8.0
7.9 to 8.0 isn't a big change, so that shouldn't be too bad.
But I tested the tap water and it was 7.6.
I didn't retest the tap water again (I might do that), but I'm worried that the pH difference will cause stress on my fish.
I really don't want my ill fish to get any more stressed. He is fighting that fin rot so hard, and I don't want to make it worse.

What do I do about the pH difference? Do you think it is ok, or do I have to do something special?

Sorry for the mini-novel

Elvishswimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1 or two times a week(1 more often than not though). 40% in the main tank, 33% in hospital.

I linked the post I was referencing in my original post.

I'm treating hospital tank with Ich Attack (It actually worked really well to stop the fin rot!) and 0.2% salt, but I'm slowly weaning off both, because his fin rot has stopped progressing for 2 weeks, and now I'm just waiting for the fin to grow back.

Main tank has carbon, and a bunch of plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom