A passing thought about my 300-gallon rain barrel

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I have this huge rain barrel connected to my barn/shed. the roof is huge, so a good amount of water would get in there every time it rains. I was wondering if a could through a few fish in there. I know this is a dumb question would this kind of thing need a filter, or would the rainwater be enough? It gets pretty cold in the winter here, there's a 3-inch sheet of ice on it at most but it has never frozen solid. What kind of fish do you think it would be good for? I like the idea of shubunkin goldies but IDK.

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not sure on what would work well in there, but I can say that if you do want the shubunkins, they really should have a filter, as goldfish are notoriously dirty fish. Also, numbers wise, you could have 5 in 300 gallons, as the general stocking for fully grown single-tailed goldfish is 100 for the first fish and 50 for each additional fish.

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bogmummy said:
So I have this huge rain barrel connected to my barn/shed. the roof is huge, so a good amount of water would get in there every time it rains. I was wondering if a could through a few fish in there. I know this is a dumb question would this kind of thing need a filter, or would the rainwater be enough? It gets pretty cold in the winter here, there's a 3-inch sheet of ice on it at most but it has never frozen solid. What kind of fish do you think it would be good for? I like the idea of shubunkin goldies but IDK.
I would be worried about the rainwater not having enough minerals in it to keep the fish alive, but I may just be misinformed. I was under the impression that rainwater has no minerals, so it’s pretty much just natural RO water

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KingJamal2 said:
I would be worried about the rainwater not having enough minerals in it to keep the fish alive, but I may just be misinformed. I was under the impression that rainwater has no minerals, so it’s pretty much just natural RO water
I had a 29 gallon outside last summer as an experiment tank and it was dirted and capped with PFS with 12 guppies and a boatload of ramshorns and I ran just a dual sponge filter powered by a solar air pump and they all did well through all the summer elements of heat and rain etc... so I think it can work as mine did. I didn't leave it out over the winter. I moved it inside and the 12 guppies alldid well and have since added 10 tiger barbs 5 albino corys and an Albino BN pleco. I did lose a couple guppies but not from the barbs I believe they fell ill and I couldn't get them to recover. but the tank has been doing amazing with some ridiculous plant growth. Check it out on the Aquarium of the month of March thread :) it's the barbs jungle

OP
bogmummy

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kallililly1973 said:
no personal experience but I believe white cloud mountain minnows can handle very low temps. I think that's the reason their banned in some states. But going by their size you may not be able to see them much.
That's actually a really good idea! I think they would look pretty cool in there honestly and be a lot better for the bioload. (and also not eat the frogs that live there occasionally) But yeah gonna definitely have to do some more research about if they can handle freezing temps.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I personally don’t think this is a good idea. I think you’ll get a lot of pollutants and **** in there. Bird poop is high nutrients and will cause algae issues. Also if you have an asphalt roof chemicals and things might get in there too.

If you do it you’ll need a pump/filter, some rocks, and plants to make this an environment for the fish. Also you will need to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange.
Just the rainwater alone will not be enough for sure.

New Threads