A panda death trap-why?

GoGreen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
:'(It seems that I just can't keep pandas alive in my tank, just can't figure it out. I lost another one this morning, now I am down to one, he is the biggest but I am not convinced that he will survive, I am hoping for the best though.
Why can't I keep these little cuties?
I have decided that I will no longer try to replace them, it just is too hard to loose them, and if my tank just isn't the ideal environment for whatever reason it is unfair to introduce them to it.
My parameters are great, and there is never any indicator that they are sick, it's one day great, the next day dead.
Did a big water change and gravel vac today, my usual weekly maintenance, nobody else ever minds this, and actually the pandas always were the most active after housecleaning. Maybe they need a super clean tank?
Sigh.

REDKAHUNA

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the tank temp. In my experience with pandas I have both long fin and standard fin the temp must be pretty consistint. They tend to be 1 of my most delicate cories. They prefer it around or so to high they die to low they die. Just my experience I have been breeding them for 6 years now and cories in general for quite some time LOL.

OP
G

GoGreen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The tank is at a constant 26*C.(78.8*F) I did think before that the temp was wrong perhaps. What temperature do your have yours at? It didn't say in your post.

REDKAHUNA

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GoGreen said:
The tank is at a constant 26*C.(78.8*F) I did think before that the temp was wrong perhaps. What temperature do your have yours at? It didn't say in your post.
Sorry I see that I left the temp out but 78 way to hI for pandas sterbaI like it there. Most cories should be kept near the bottom 72-74 degrees. The higher temps make the fish work more and burns them out. Many cories prefer cooler water some below 70 they are not quite as tropical as most think.

OP
G

GoGreen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you Redkahuna, if anyone is a cory expert it would be you! I guess if I want to keep them I will need a separate tank. Good to know.

hyun007

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long did you have your pandas?
What other fish are there in your tank?
Sharp gravel are bad for cory as well.

I bought about 20 pandas more than a week ago.
3 died most probably dued to transportation and my mishandling.
1 died recently because I have to send it to heaven with ice water, it body was twisted and it is not able to swim properly, most likely to be attack by a bigger fish?
Am suspecting my algae feeder.
I have no choice but to send it to heaven and give the body to my crayfish. =P

Anyway, the rest seem to be doing fine.
I keep about 6 in each pot.
The bottom of the pot are sand/mud.

They are so cute to watch when swimming in pair.
Watch them shoot up for oxygen and then they are down to the bottom tending to their own business.

A must have fish for all aquarium as long as they don't get eaten!

New Threads