A Paludarium for Newton

Tiny goatfish

I have a fire belly newt, his name is Newton. he lives in a 29 gallon tank, alone (his two other friends died of body fungus).
Heres Newton:

DSCF1118.JPG
Here is the tank he's in:

DSCF1140.JPG(sorry for the glare)
I'm really tired of seeing nothing (other then dirty glass) above the water. So i'm going to make it into a paludarium. I've been doing research and am pretty sure how I want to make it, but if anyone here has one or has made one, I would love some more ideas before I make it. I'm planning to start as soon as I get the equipment I need, (I will get some of it today hopefully!). I Hope you guys enjoy watching Newtons new home get built!
Tiny Goatfish,
and Newton

*I'm hoping I put this in the right place, I know Newton isn't a fish, but sense it's building a paludarium I figured this would be a good place for it.

DrSahl

I hope someone will help you and it sounds awesome.

I look foward to see your Paludarium once its done. I am sure your newt will be happy about it.

Ohh and your firebelly looks great

Plecomaker

I'm not sure exactlt what you're looking for, but I would get a few large stones and put them in the middle like an island, so that the stones are half and half out of the water. I might evenpick some land plants to put on them.

Bijou88

Give this thread a read, it might give you some ideas

Tiny goatfish

The thread was interesting, Thanks Bijou88!
Plecomaker, That's mainly my plan, also i'm planing to add a background (just got the stuff today). The only differences is i'm going to probably put the land in the corner, and also i'm going to make my sponge filter into a waterfall! (at least that's the plan).

Thanks DrSahl, He has a slightly deformed toe (aftermath of the body rot) But other then that he's doing great!

I should be able to start the Paludarium on Monday, I just need some rocks....

Tiny goatfish

Okay, I have all my supplies now!
Rocks:

DSCF1144.JPG
Got them at my (Dads) Friends house, (so they were free!).

Cork bark:

DSCF1145.JPG
My Dad already had it, so it was free! It'll need to be cut up a bit (Its super big!), to make planting pockets.

Wood (for the background):

DSCF1143.JPG
Found it near my local creek, so also free! I'm going to trim it a bit though, its real twiggy right now...

It's awesome, I think my total money spent was about 20$ Yay!
Anyway, I'll definitely be able to start on monday!

Tiny goatfish

Turns out I'm able to do the first step today!
Heres Newton in his temporary home:

DSCF1146.JPG
It's a little critter keeper, I put his sponge filter in it, a piece of wood, and his moss ball.

I was able to setup the layout of the background and foam it into place, tomorrow I (might) be able to add the silicone and Coconut fiber. Here's the background with the foam, branch and some of the cork bark:

DSCF1147.JPG
Can't wait for it to dry!

PlatySquad4

Sounds awesome! Newton looks so boss!

Tiny goatfish

Thanks PlatySquad4!

Tiny goatfish

Well i'm (almost) done! Every thing is ready, I just have to add water, (which I'll do later today.) And Newton!
Here is a picture:

DSCF1153.JPG
The plants in the top are Hardy Ivy. The one in the right corner is a Red Fern, and the large one on land is a Peace Lily. I can't wait till I put Newton in! I'll probably (slowly) add more plants, first I just want to see how these ones do.

Tiny goatfish

It's Done! I added water and Newton yesterday. Newton seems to like his new tank. Heres some pictures:

DSCF1154.JPG

DSCF1155.JPG

DSCF1158.JPG
I didn't make the sponge filter into a waterfall yet because I don't have good rocks. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Some of the coconut fiber from the land kind of got in the water, but that's okay with me. The background makes it look way better, . Newtons favorite spot is under the land rock, where there's a small cave.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views