A pair of Pearl Gourami vs a pair of German Blue Ram?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Xuechun, Jan 11, 2013.

1. XuechunNew MemberMember

Hi guys! I'm quite new to community tanks, though I've had fish long enough, and I'm wondering whether I should stock my cycled and well planted 20g high aquarium with either a pair of Pearl Gourami or a pair of German Blue Ram. I currently have a small school a neon tetras as well as three guppies which I plan on breeding. I most definitely will get one of each species but I'm stuck on which to pair off. Any help would be appreciated!

2. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Being that pearls don't belong in anything less then 30-40gallons, probably the rams. Just 2. Thats it, your tank would be stocked if not over stocked since the guppies will breed very fast and the rams will not eat all the fry.

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree, a pair of rams is okay, though that's as small of a tank that I would put them in. Pearl gouramis need a bigger tank, even for one.

4. XuechunNew MemberMember

I would like to include a gourami if possible. I've read that pearls are one of the more passive species and dwarfs tend to be more aggressive to smaller fish. And I should mention, I don't plan on keeping more than three guppies in the 20g either so breeding shouldn't be a problem.

5. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Honeys seem like a better bet. I can tell you now that you cannot keep even a single ram and a gourami in that tank, it is either or. Dwarfs are FINE with other fish 90% of the time, and in a 20 he would be fine with some neons. The guppies may be an issue though. Honeys tend to be harmless little guys, still a bit territorial but really tame compared to a Dwarf. You could get away with a trio of honeys(1m/2f).

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You have read right - they are not nearly as aggressive as other gourami species. However, they are very much group oriented, and grow much too big for a 20. Try a honey gourami.

7. XuechunNew MemberMember

Then 2 rams and 1 honey? I have to admit, I'm not very fond of the Honey's coloring when compared to the other G's.
    And for the rams, would 1f and 1m do?

Knight; Did you mean 3 honeys only and no Rams? I wasn't aware that they were social.

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If I were going to try to add a gourami in there, that is the only one I would attempt it with.

9. MuseyWell Known MemberMember

Either a pair of rams or the Gourami. Not both. But I still think the 20 gallon is pushing it for a pair of rams.

10. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Either a pair of rams or a tri/pair of honeys. Either or.

The only other species of gourami you can try is a pygmy. You could do like 6.
    There are a few variations in the species of Honey gourami.
      This shows some of the color patterns
      my fav

You just need to be sure you get T.Chuna and not T.colisa(dwarf gourami)

11. XuechunNew MemberMember

Alright thanks so much everyone! Now's to hoping my LFS has any Honey Gourami in stock. Lol

12. XuechunNew MemberMember

I went to my LFS today. They didn't stock in honey so I went looking for rams. Lo and behold there was a beautiful pair waiting for me! But I couldn't afford them.
    They were $14.99 a piece.

13. MuseyWell Known MemberMember

You can buy one at a time... you don't have to buy them together.

Also, do you know how to sex them yet? Having two females... or... a male and a female is best. You want to AVOID getting two males (especially in a tank this size) because they will have serious territory disputes.

14. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's ridiculously expensive for regular GBRs. That's an electric blue GBR price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice