A pair of Pearl Gourami vs a pair of German Blue Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xuechun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi guys! I'm quite new to community tanks, though I've had fish long enough, and I'm wondering whether I should stock my cycled and well planted 20g high aquarium with either a pair of Pearl Gourami or a pair of German Blue Ram. I currently have a small school a neon tetras as well as three guppies which I plan on breeding. I most definitely will get one of each species but I'm stuck on which to pair off. Any help would be appreciated!

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Being that pearls don't belong in anything less then 30-40gallons, probably the rams. Just 2. Thats it, your tank would be stocked if not over stocked since the guppies will breed very fast and the rams will not eat all the fry.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, a pair of rams is okay, though that's as small of a tank that I would put them in. Pearl gouramis need a bigger tank, even for one.

Xuechun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would like to include a gourami if possible. I've read that pearls are one of the more passive species and dwarfs tend to be more aggressive to smaller fish. And I should mention, I don't plan on keeping more than three guppies in the 20g either so breeding shouldn't be a problem.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Honeys seem like a better bet. I can tell you now that you cannot keep even a single ram and a gourami in that tank, it is either or. Dwarfs are FINE with other fish 90% of the time, and in a 20 he would be fine with some neons. The guppies may be an issue though. Honeys tend to be harmless little guys, still a bit territorial but really tame compared to a Dwarf. You could get away with a trio of honeys(1m/2f).

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have read right - they are not nearly as aggressive as other gourami species. However, they are very much group oriented, and grow much too big for a 20. Try a honey gourami.

Xuechun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then 2 rams and 1 honey? I have to admit, I'm not very fond of the Honey's coloring when compared to the other G's.
And for the rams, would 1f and 1m do?

Knight; Did you mean 3 honeys only and no Rams? I wasn't aware that they were social.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I were going to try to add a gourami in there, that is the only one I would attempt it with.

Musey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then 2 rams and 1 honey? I have to admit, I'm not very fond of the Honey's coloring when compared to the other G's.
And for the rams, would 1f and 1m do?

Knight; Did you mean 3 honeys only and no Rams? I wasn't aware that they were social.
Either a pair of rams or the Gourami. Not both. But I still think the 20 gallon is pushing it for a pair of rams.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Xuechun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright thanks so much everyone! Now's to hoping my LFS has any Honey Gourami in stock. Lol

Xuechun

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I went to my LFS today. They didn't stock in honey so I went looking for rams. Lo and behold there was a beautiful pair waiting for me! But I couldn't afford them.
They were $14.99 a piece.

Musey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can buy one at a time... you don't have to buy them together.

Also, do you know how to sex them yet? Having two females... or... a male and a female is best. You want to AVOID getting two males (especially in a tank this size) because they will have serious territory disputes.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's ridiculously expensive for regular GBRs. That's an electric blue GBR price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom