A pair of oscars in a 80g?

3876T

I have a spare 80g tank ( 48"x20"x20") I was initially planning to keep a snakehead in it but scrapped that idea and decided to instead keep them in my pond which I would be building next year. So the question is can I keep 2 oscars in a 80g tank? I can afford any types of filters too, my only doubt is that will my oscars be ok in that tank??

BigManAquatics

For long term, no. You would need i think at least a 150g for 2 oscars, maybe bigger.

Upvote 0

3876T

can I keep them in it until they cross 13"inch? Anyways I am building a pond so I'll transfer them if they get bigger

Upvote 0

MacZ

can I keep them in it until they cross 13"inch? Anyways I am building a pond so I'll transfer them if they get bigger

A cent for every time somebody asks this...
There have been so many people posting here that kept fish that outgrew their tanks long ago that planned to upgrade and never did, putting the fish in dire situations. Also cases of "I will get a bigger tank" that ended up asking where to rehome when the upgrade was overdue and they realised it was not possible to upgrade.

If you don't want to get in the situation to suddenly have a too small tank, please, for the sake of the animals, only get them when you are 100% able to provide a bigger tank or pond. If there is ANY doubt this is feasable I would do the responsible thing and keep something else.

Upvote 0

3876T

A cent for every time somebody asks this...
There have been so many people posting here that kept fish that outgrew their tanks long ago that planned to upgrade and never did, putting the fish in dire situations. Also cases of "I will get a bigger tank" that ended up asking where to rehome when the upgrade was overdue and they realised it was not possible to upgrade.

If you don't want to get in the situation to suddenly have a too small tank, please, for the sake of the animals, only get them when you are 100% able to provide a bigger tank or pond. If there is ANY doubt this is feasable I would do the responsible thing and keep something else.
I am definitely getting a pond anyways so u don't have to worry about my "back up plan"
My only qns are :

1. will they cross 13" within 4months?? If then I would have a big problem since I can't get a pond before 2022 and I would probably get my oscars in early july or mid july

2. Can I keep them with kois? I live in a Tropical climate so I don't need a heater in general, if I can't keep them together then I would scrap one of those ideas

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

You could do a single Oscar or like mentioned a pair of blood parrots

Upvote 0

3876T

You could do a single Oscar or like mentioned a pair of blood parrots

I don't like blood parrots lol ( don't kill me ) I just generally stick to natural and "wild looking" fishes :)

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I don't like blood parrots lol ( don't kill me ) I just generally stick to natural and "wild looking" fishes :)
You could do a large planted tank with rainbow fish and corys

Upvote 0

3876T

You could do a large planted tank with rainbow fish and corys
Nice idea! but ill pass
I already have a 29 gallon with cories
I want something " predatory " ukwim?

Upvote 0

MacZ

1. will they cross 13" within 4months?? If then I would have a big problem since I can't get a pond before 2022 and I would probably get my oscars in early july or mid july

Depends on the size you buy them at.

2. Can I keep them with kois? I live in a Tropical climate so I don't need a heater in general, if I can't keep them together then I would scrap one of those ideas

I doubt it honestly. Should you get a pair and they start breeding they will claim a lot of room for themselves.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CHanna
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
  • Question
Replies