A Pair of German Blue Rams acting/looking strange

AlphaBeta76

I got a pair of German blue rams about a week ago for my planted aquarium. I had a nitrite spike a few days ago and am currently taking care of it using nitrifying bacteria, water changes, and seachem prime.
Today I noticed both were acting strange. I introduced CO2 into the tank yesterday for my plants as I have a planted tank.

The male seems to look to have a sunken belly, but I can’t say for certainty as today is the first I’ve noticed it. He’s eating normally and acting normally. I skipped feeding yesterday for the first time to prep them for feeding once every other day as I introduce more fish to reduce waste and keep the water in check.
My female has changed the most notably. Within the past 2 days, she’s been acting strange. Her head colors have gotten a lot darker. Her belly is very pink and plump like she’s about to lay eggs, but there is something “white/clear” coming out of her anus. It’s very small though. She has also seemed to be hiding much more in the plants and isn’t swimming around as actively as the male does and looks to be breathing heavier than normal. The two get along amazingly though. Both hang out a lot and the male has never shown any sort of aggression to her.
Both rams are eating normally and neither are showing aggression. They are currently living with 2 Kuhli loaches and a later pair of platys. My biggest worry is this is them wasting away to die soon. I bought them from petsmart the day they arrived from shipment, and did a slow drip acclimation. I don’t have a bubbler but I have a hang on back filter that causes plenty of surface agitation to allow plenty of oxygen. I’m hoping this is all natural when a pair is about to lay eggs, as I’ve heard this can be something a lot worse. Any advice or information is helpful!
36C422FB-BDE5-4033-BC10-F961BF6A7DDD.jpeg
442ED515-B558-4474-A520-D8EB8DF2B026.jpeg

Attachments

Best Answer - View DoraCory's answer
OP
AlphaBeta76

AlphaBeta76

AlphaBeta76 said:
I got a pair of German blue rams about a week ago for my planted aquarium. I had a nitrite spike a few days ago and am currently taking care of it using nitrifying bacteria, water changes, and seachem prime.
Today I noticed both were acting strange. I introduced CO2 into the tank yesterday for my plants as I have a planted tank.

The male seems to look to have a sunken belly, but I can’t say for certainty as today is the first I’ve noticed it. He’s eating normally and acting normally. I skipped feeding yesterday for the first time to prep them for feeding once every other day as I introduce more fish to reduce waste and keep the water in check.
My female has changed the most notably. Within the past 2 days, she’s been acting strange. Her head colors have gotten a lot darker. Her belly is very pink and plump like she’s about to lay eggs, but there is something “white/clear” coming out of her anus. It’s very small though. She has also seemed to be hiding much more in the plants and isn’t swimming around as actively as the male does and looks to be breathing heavier than normal. The two get along amazingly though. Both hang out a lot and the male has never shown any sort of aggression to her.
Both rams are eating normally and neither are showing aggression. They are currently living with 2 Kuhli loaches and a later pair of platys. My biggest worry is this is them wasting away to die soon. I bought them from petsmart the day they arrived from shipment, and did a slow drip acclimation. I don’t have a bubbler but I have a hang on back filter that causes plenty of surface agitation to allow plenty of oxygen. I’m hoping this is all natural when a pair is about to lay eggs, as I’ve heard this can be something a lot worse. Any advice or information is helpful!
36C422FB-BDE5-4033-BC10-F961BF6A7DDD.jpeg
442ED515-B558-4474-A520-D8EB8DF2B026.jpeg
Lol I accidentally attached 2 images that aren’t related. Don’t mind them!

DoraCory

The sunken belly could suggest an internal parasite perhaps.

What are you feeding the rams?

I would lay off adding more fish until you've worked out what's going on with the rams tbh.

OP
AlphaBeta76

AlphaBeta76

DoraCory said:
The sunken belly could suggest an internal parasite perhaps.

What are you feeding the rams?

I would lay off adding more fish until you've worked out what's going on with the rams tbh.
I’m feeding API tropical flakes. I’ll be switching soon to frozen brine shrimp and Xtreme krill flakes.

DoraCory

Yeah, Rams need a meatier diet, well that's what my LFS said when I got mine. Bug bites, vibra bites, frozen daphnia and frozen brine shrimp seem to be a hit with Sid, who has tripled in size since I got him.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Well you are right, your female is ready to burst with eggs! That bubble thing is her ovipositor tube and it has dropped.

Your male looks a bit skinny, I do see the suncken belly. I would feed them a dewormer and watch. Or just start feeding high quality foods and watch closely. I use Omega One, NorthFin and NLS small pellets. They will love bloodworms, but don't overdo them, they are a treat ;)

Also nice that they get along. If it were my fish, I'd order some Fenbendazole and feed it to them in a food soak. I use Repashy gel food (grub pie) and lace in some fenben (1/8 teaspoon per 2 ounces food). I also add garlic juice and vitamins (Boyd's Vitachem) to disguise Fenben's nasty taste.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom