A Oscar and a Jack Dempsey in a 75 Gallon?

XFY

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
HI everyone. In the future I am planning to get a Oscar because I have always loved their personalities and how they look in general. Would a Oscar and a Jack Dempsey do well in a 75 Gallon aquarium? Or is it too small, I have seen other discussions talking about the topic but couldn't really find the answer that I was looking for. I have been browsing the internet on things that I would need for a 75 Gallon tank to buy, and it is not cheap so I don't want something to fail. Sorry if I am doing something wrong I am new to fish lore. Would love to hear the opinions thank you.
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,381
Reaction score
15,181
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
One or the other not both in 75. Sorry. I had an Oscar in a 75 and he was determined to be the only fish. He even killed a foot long common pleco so I don't even want to think of the blood bath with 2 aggressive fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
XFY

XFY

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
One or the other not both in 75. Sorry. I had an Oscar in a 75 and he was determined to be the only fish. He even killed a foot long common pleco so I don't even want to think of the blood bath with 2 aggressive fish.
Wow ok thank you for letting me know.
 

johnbetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,288
Reaction score
479
Location
australia
Experience
More than 10 years
u could do the jack but not the Oscar you need a large tank for an Oscar due to there big size 30 to 40 cm when fully grown so a 75 gal tank is to small
 

SnookusFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
675
Reaction score
637
Experience
5 to 10 years

Kinda depends on the fish. These 2 are fine together.
Ive seend future vids and there was never a problem
 

Littlebudda

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
1,266
Location
Australia
Experience
More than 10 years
I have my 2 oscars in with BP and they are chill but it really is a space thing they have 300gal to swim. I thought about a JD but decided it might be too much aggression even in a 300
 

TWiG87

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,354
Reaction score
2,232
Location
NJ
Experience
5 to 10 years
SnookusFish said:

Kinda depends on the fish. These 2 are fine together.
Ive seend future vids and there was never a problem
While that can happen, it’s certainly the exception and not the rule.
Id be more worried about the JD terrrorizing the Oscar. They can be quite aggressive. Anyway, I agree with the others. Pick one or the other and choose (1 or 2) tank mates wisely
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
XFY

XFY

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
Ok thank y'all so much
 

ImpairedFish

Active Member
Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
139
Location
Happy Hour
Experience
Just started
A friend of mine has two Oscars in their 75 Gallon also had a Goldfish in there with them up until he died but both Oscars are over 7" and seem fine when I go over there. But I will say they should have a bigger tank just because there's not much swimming room in a tank that size for both fish. They've been in the tank together for years, they were bought at a young age
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,381
Reaction score
15,181
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
ImpairedFish said:
A friend of mine has two Oscars in their 75 Gallon also had a Goldfish in there with them up until he died but both Oscars are over 7" and seem fine when I go over there. But I will say they should have a bigger tank just because there's not much swimming room in a tank that size for both fish. They've been in the tank together for years, they were bought at a young age
I started with 3 in a 75. As they grew I got rid of the aggressive one to try to keep 2. That lasted till one day the one wanted to be the only fish. He ended up being almost 14 inches. He was a big fish.
 

ImpairedFish

Active Member
Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
139
Location
Happy Hour
Experience
Just started
david1978 said:
I started with 3 in a 75. As they grew I got rid of the aggressive one to try to keep 2. That lasted till one day the one wanted to be the only fish. He ended up being almost 14 inches. He was a big fish.
That's a gnarly sized fish, what did you have him in a 150 gal?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
XFY

XFY

New Member
Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Experience
Just started
What would be some good tank mates for 1 Oscar? Or can I have only the Oscar in the 75 Gallon?
 

ImpairedFish

Active Member
Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
139
Location
Happy Hour
Experience
Just started
XFY said:
What would be some good tank mates for 1 Oscar? Or can I have only the Oscar in the 75 Gallon?
In the beginning when hes small I'd say you could have others with him but make sure they grow to the same size. I'd say do some research, I started my tank with cichlids, didn't work out as I was a new fish person and didn't cycle my tank properly because I listened to LFS peeps. Now I have a community tank. Personally, I'd go with smaller cichlids where I could have a wide range versus a one or two.
 

CichlidFreak7000

Active Member
Member
Messages
110
Reaction score
69
Experience
2 years
Its exactly the same thing I would say to a betta owner, it really depends on the individual fish, but better safe than sorry
XFY said:
What would be some good tank mates for 1 Oscar? Or can I have only the Oscar in the 75 Gallon?
Most larger cichlids can hold their own against an oscar. With a very peaceful oscar, you might be able to have some silver dollars or something else really big, but maybe not in a 75 gallon. I would recommend at least a 120 or 150 for silver dollars and oscars.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
126
Guests online
2,151
Total visitors
2,277

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom