A Note from the Mods

sirdarksol

We just wanted to say something about how we deal with infractions. Yes, there is a particular incident that is spawning this conversation, but no, we are not going to talk specifics about it (any posts that go into any specific instance will be ignored, edited, or deleted; whatever is deemed appropriate). Rather, we want to make a general statement about our methods.

We do not ban established members lightly. Unless it's an obvious blow-up (such as when a member posts an obscenity-laced thread threatening other forum members), we do not simply ban a person. We give out warnings. We will usually inform a member when they are on their last chance. Throughout this process, we check with each other and with Mike, to make sure that we're all on the same page. One of us disliking a member is not enough to get that member banned. The rest of the mods will not back such a banning.

We also do not like to talk about the disciplinary actions we take. Even when an ex-member contacts other members by e-mail, Facebook, etc..., we don't discuss the reasons they were banned. We think it's tacky to do so. It's up to you to decide how much to listen to such e-mails. (Sirdarksol's note: Personally, I always question these things, especially when they come out of nowhere.)

We do these things to keep the forum running smoothly, and to keep it safe. We want Fishlore to be accessible and comfortable to all of our members, which is why the rules are what they are. It does not make us happy when someone knowledgeable is not capable of abiding by these rules, and it's always a difficult decision to make, but in the end, we have to worry not only about the comfort and safety of one member, but of all of Fishlore's members.

ChristineG

I must agree, this is the better way. Sometimes relationships break down, but none of us like to be caught in the middle of a bitter dispute, accusations flying from both sides, feeling with both parties but unable to improve the situation.
Fires eventually stop burning if you don't keep adding more fuel.

jerilovesfrogs

I just have a question.....so what if member say, abc, was banned...and he thought it wasn't right, so he just created another account with the name 123. then they are back on the forum. just a thought that popped into my head.

sirdarksol

I just have a question.....so what if member say, abc, was banned...and he thought it wasn't right, so he just created another account with the name 123. then they are back on the forum. just a thought that popped into my head.

People try it. We have many ways of dealing with that sort of thing. Yes, we miss some, but generally, they will quickly repeat whatever offense got them banned, and we'll ban them again.

Edit: I've removed off-topic posts regarding this question. Beyond my (admittedly very simple) answer, this isn't a topic that is for this thread.
Also, once again, there will be no discussion of any particular incidents.

Mike

Good note SDS - thanks. Just to reiterate... banning an established member (someone that has been here awhile) takes a consensus amongst the mods and only happens after several warnings are given.

The general membership only sees what is posted by the mods on the public boards but there is whole 'nother section that is used to maintain the forum (it has over 7,000 threads in it!) and the mod's work their butts off. Seriously. Our moderators are here because they love the hobby and they do what they do for FREE all on their own time to help keep this place free and safe for EVERYONE to share their fish keeping experiences.

We can't start bending the rules for certain people just because they have a high post count. If we start doing that we will eventually have chaos. The moderators don't have time to devote to sillyness, especially regarding those that continue to violate the very easy we have here.

sirdarksol

Because there are new questions, I want to bump this thread. I'm also going to reopen it so that questions may be asked.
Note that specific questions about specific instances will not be answered. Those cases are between the involved members and the mods.

Which brings up a specific point: Those cases are between the involved members and the mods. As I stated above, we feel that it's rude to talk about what happened that got a member banned, or any of the interaction after that. Also as stated above, when we take actions like this, we take them for a reason. So yes, a particular member may be missed, and pictures/videos of their aquaria may be missed as well, but the mods are not the ones who chose to break the rules. Further, with the case of vids and pics, the member may actually not want these posted on the forum.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ryanr
Replies
Views
Cheesecake
Replies
Views
Anders247
  • Question
Replies