A Nightmare Story

1. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

I was at my local PetSmart the other day just browsing and wishing. There was a middle aged woman there who told an employee she was setting up her 5 gallon tank after awhile of it being inactive and asked what she needed. She gets a gravel vac, a heater, a filter, and a couple other things. as she's getting ready to go check out, I hear her say, "I'll be back in a little while to pick out some friends for my Pleco". The employee just said okay. I was tempted to say something but would have probably been told to mind my own business so that's what I did. It makes you wonder what she's keeping that Pleco in now.

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I always hear stories like this. I really want to help the people too.

It’s just a lot of people won’t listen to you because they think that PetSmart employees are “experts”.

I remember one of my friends kept a betta in the cup that they came in.

It died and she blamed it on guppy food because PetSmart told her that they can only eat betta food.

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

That story is giving me anxiety

4. OP
    OP
    Dch48

Yeah all the employees in my PetSmart are like 18 -20 year old girls. It's not impossible for one to be an expert but I highly doubt it. I've heard the manager talking to customers and she knows furry things but is clueless about fish.

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I heard a story from @david1978 once.

It was either a Petco or PetSmart employee that refused to sell him some female bettas for his 75 because they would “drown”.

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

:facepalm: "No, you need a cage for your betta. They like plenty of vines to climb on and they will DROWN in water you monster"

7. Rick bose

Rick bose Valued Member Member

I live in India and some days ago I went to the local aquarium shop to buy some live plants for my aquarium. There I heard 1 woman asking the price of iridescent shark catfish. I for some reason have doubts that the woman does not have an adequate tank for a iridescent shark catfish. So I asked what sized her tank is and she does not even know but what she described me about the length, height and width I figured that it's a 6-8 g tank. i was shocked to just even imaging a iridescent shark living there. I strongly advised against it and said it will die there soon. Then she asked for the rainbow shark. i again said that that sized tank is too small for it. She was clueless what to get and since I know the shopkeeper very well as I am a frequent buyer, he did not objected me. I asked her to get a betta but she said she already have another smaller tank with a betta. I told her to have then 3-4 guppies or 2 swordtails or platys or 2-3 small tetras or tiger barbs but she insisted she needs just 1 fish and that too a medium sized, not that small.

Finally she choose 1 blue gourami and went away. I was shocked that she was so ignorant that she thought a iridescent shark catfish or a rainbow shark can do well in a 6-7 g tank. I know that the tank is still too small to house a gourami( so I did not suggest her that, I suggested her smaller fishes, I tried) but still I felt proud that I convinced her not to get the iridescent shark or the rainbow shark. A gourami is a slow moving fish and can live in the tank with difficulties but getting any shark would have surely ended its life in a couple of days.

8. OP
    OP
    Dch48

The Gourami will be much better off since it's an airbreather like a Betta. Most people see the fish in the store and know nothing about how big they can get. They seem to think they will stay that size forever.

9. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry I don't want to sound too cheesy but I don't find any difference between the incompetence of male or female workers at those stores. The only girl who works in fish section at the Petsmart near me is super smart. She's a fish encyclopedia. All the men who work there are in their 60s or 70s but don't have a clue about fish. When I got my water tested, they literally asked me what the colored water meant. I probably read your post wrong but I just think that plenty of girls know about fish as well.

10. OP
    OP
    Dch48

You read it wrong. It happens that they are all girls. It's not saying guys would be any better. It's just what the store here has and they don't seem to know much except for maybe one of them.

11. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

Ah, yes. Sorry I read that differently