Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

A Nice Surprise Today In Homeroom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Donovan Jones, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

My homeroom teacher teaches a class called wildlife bio, basically teaches u about native wildlife and ecosystems in Pennsylvania. This morning she was going on a field trip trip to release trout. Little did I know that there was a tank full of baby trout next door! She asked me if I wanted to help catch them...OF COURSE I DID! And OMG were they gorgeous
    Could only get one in relative focus on my phone, but I think the pic was decent. IMG_20190410_102007.jpg

2. JenCWell Known MemberMember

Nice!

And now I know that baby trout are cute. :emoji_two_hearts:

3. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Very cool!! i think to keep and raise and breed Trout properly you may need a brook, creek or river approximately 4 miles long and 40-60 feet wide for best results :)... Or a pond or lake that can hold 500 thousand gallons or more ;)

4. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

They get the fry or eggs every fall and raise them all year then release them is what I'm told. The tank looked to be at least 100 gallons, and I'd say there were 50 fish, plus lots of current and some pothos, so they got it down for their purposes.
    I've seen adults in public aquariums, and I was blown away by how calm they are and how big the fin were. I pictured them behaving like danios, but it's more like a gourami

5. Nightstar17Valued MemberMember

TIL baby trout are adorable :joyful: <3

6. ForceTenValued MemberMember

Look awful small to be released? They raise and release trout here. They are raised to about 5-6 inches or bigger then released into the river.
    Small ones would just be food for every other fish in the river. Just my opinion. I am no expert.