A new stocking Idea for my 60 gallon aquarium!

1. EmmanuelJB Member Member

Ok how does this sound??
    4 Angel Fish
    8 Rummy Nose Tetras
    6 Congo Tetras
    4 Cory Cats
    1 Rubber Pleco
    Possibly 6 Zebra Danios
    Possibly 2 Blue Platys
    3 Female Bettas

What do you think about the bettas? When you have more than one female betta is it better to have more or less? I know you should have at least 3... I would like to save as many from those small cups as possible. I know I don't have much room in my tank! Also I can't seem to find much info on the Congo Tetras, so any info on thos would be great!

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Emmanuel.

Your stocking list has a lot of nice fishies :) I'd be careful on the Angelfish. If there aren't much hiding places, you could lose some fishes to them. So the Angelfish should go in the tank last. IMO, 3 female bettas are alright. I've had them before but more and had no problems at all. Other than that, I'm not sure about the calculations on your stocking. Wait for another member to confirm that :)

3. EmmanuelJB Member Member

There are ALOT of hiding places and I will be adding the angels last. Is it true that the more bettas the better? If so would 3 be best or do I have room for more?

4. EmmanuelJB Member Member

Also I would love to see pics of your congo tetras if you have congo tetras!

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

IMO, everything looks great except the bettas. We've had a lot of members who have kept bettas together that got along great for a while, and then without warning, it ended in disaster. The males and females are both very aggressive and do best by themselves.

6. EmmanuelJB Member Member

Awww, Im disapointed to hear this, maybe I will just get 1. Im still not sure though...

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure there is some threads about keeping females together and member's experiences in the betta section of the forum. That will help in your research so you can make the best decision for your tank:p

8. EmmanuelJB Member Member

I looked through the betta forums and I think I gonna decide when I go to the store. IF I see a few bettas I like I will get them and if I only see 1 I will just get 1.

9. EmmanuelJB Member Member

Do I have to get the female bettas at the same time or can I add them to the tank a seperate times???

10. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

I would also advise against getting the female bettas, especially with the angelfish. I had to add a couple of my girls to my community tank temporarily when my sorority tank didn't work out, and my bettas did not do well. They hid constantly and were really stressed. Also, what are the dimensions of your 60 gallon? In a tank less than 4 feet, if you have 2 angels that pair, in the tank, you will likely have to get rid of the rest due to aggression.

Here's a profile for congo tetras which should be helpful:
    http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile39.html

Best of luck with the tank :)

11. EmmanuelJB Member Member