A Mystery Mystery Snail Death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My smallest Mystery Snail died last night, I wasn't sure if he/she was dead until today though when I picked him up and took some previous advice I got on here, I smelled him. Well, I will say, the advice was good, he was DEFINATELY dead. Wowzers! Anyhow, not sure how he died though, my other two mysteries are fine, he got plenty of food, my parameters are fine. The only thing I can think of is my female krib may have attacked him, she has about 60 fry right now, but she hasn't bothered the other two and they go right through the "nursery cave" all the time. Maybe he was just the easiest since he was the smallest? The other two are nearing golfball status, the small one was the size of one of those big marbles. I dunno.

R.I.P. Little Snail, we loved ye!

Joe

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sorry treefork about your snail. eww so it smelled bad? what did it smell like? i have 4 nerites......i'm not ever looking forward to "the smell". lol.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh it was a pretty awful smell. It just smelled like, well, a lot like a dead hermit crab I had as a kid. So I guess it was just that "dead stuff" smell. Man was it awful. I've got a batch of eggs on the back of this tank by my filters so maybe I'll be able to hatch some replacements.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ohhh that's true. mystery eggs hatch in freshwater right? nerites don't.

so once my husband and i went to the ocean....we collected shells and put them in walmart type bags. then put them in the back of my car (not a trunk). well we went to run errands and it was hot that day....so when we got back to the car after a few hours, ohhhh boy, it was stiiiiinky. i was like, what did you put in there?? i know i didn't chose any shells that "things" could live in. he must have. so from then on my car was nicknamed The Crab. lol. maybe that's what a dead snail sorta smells like? and is smelling it the only way to tell....hmmm

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry for the loss, Treefork.

Jeril: Bad. Very bad. I've sniffed dead mysteries twice already. A little bit like a mix of rotten eggs and decaying fish. But worse.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
eeek that is sick. note to self, do not ever smell a dead snail! if you both are guys and think it's bad, lol, then it must be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom