a monumental, but worthwhile, task lies before me......

1. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Well, I just ordered 100 lbs of eco-complete for my 75 gallon tank. I can no longer stomach the play sand that's in there now. Every time the fish feed, they stir up huge dust storms. It's a wonder they haven't all died from impacted lungs/gills/whatever would get impacted.

So.... probably next weekend..... everybody gets to live in buckets for a bit while I tear down the tank, remove all the driftwood and plants, suck out all the water, and scoop out all the sand, place the eco-complete, replant everything, put the driftwood back in, fill 'er up and introduce the fish to their new and improved home.

I expect you all to light candles for me, perhaps say a novena or two, a couple of Hail Mary's, and dose a sprinkle of dechlorinated holy water while I face this monumental task. Bah, you'll probably just sit there and go "sheesh, I'm sure glad it's her and not me". :;laughing

It's a good thing I already know how fantastic the tank will look afterwards and how happy my fish will be, so that takes a little of the anticipatory pain away. I'll try my very best to remember to do before and afters, as I know that's the house rule. :;rules

2. Abalisa Member Member

I love my ecocomplete, it settles pretty quickly. Good luck!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

3. lorabell Well Known Member Member

You are a BRAVE woman!!!!!!! Good luck with all of it!!!!!!!! Im lucky....I just have to wait to see your outcome...lol...without all the work!!!!!! I wish I was brave enough to do a major do-over like that in some of mine!!!!!

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

There was a 20 pound bag of Eco Complete for $10 on craigslist not too long ago. Shoulda bought it....

Good luck with the new stuff! POST BEFORE AND AFTER PICS (or I will hunt you down!!)!!!! ;D

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

shesh Im glad its not me! lol sorry I had to.

Im looking at my 10gal thinking about swapping the gravel out and not wanting to do the work, I don't want to think about my 75 haha. Then again it already has floromax in it.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't envy you Lynda.
    Good luck!

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

No envy from here either.

Not sure if it will work, but you could try siphoning the sand out, and running the water through fine filter pads over the buckets. The sand might come out easier than scooping it out.

Something along the lines of:

Remove decor (driftwood etc)
    Set up bucket with a colander/strainer, place filter wool in the colander.
    Start the siphon, pointing over the filter wool, and let it suck up the sand.

Just shake the sand off the filter wool as you go (dunno, on 75G it might be easier to just scoop it out)

And from every report I've read, the eco-complete can pretty much go straight in without rinsing.

Good Luck!

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

There is always that sense of satisfaction and joy at a job well done to look forward to.... think about that when you are scooping wet, poopy sand.

9. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

have fun! ime, sand is faster to get out than gravel. hope everyone appreciates your efforts....plants and fish i mean :)

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

My best wishes to you on your project!

11. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

:;smack

ryan, thanks for the tips. I've got a tried and true method, so I'm not worried about that part. :)

12. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

so wheres the pics....howd it go?

oh common Lynda, you knew someone was gonna do it haha

13. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It'll probably be next weekend, the eco hasn't arrived as yet. I mean, c'mon, I just ordered it on Friday! Sheesh..... have a little patience, you guys. ;)

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

lol you know none of us around here like to wait haha why do you think we all try TSS in our tanks....

Well I'm sure you'll be itching to get it into the tank once it arrives.

15. escapay Well Known Member Member

Good luck!! And I also do not envy this task... however, I would rather do that then try to recover a tank from lack of water changes. (Namely 3 aquariums I'm helping with)

16. lea Well Known Member Member

*makes sacrifice and dances around the fire chanting*

Hopefully you'll not need the luck though. After a few hours it should look amazing, plus what a great chance to go mad with planting.

All the ebst and looking forward to after pics!

17. orbelina Member Member

Please take lots of pics I just subscribed to this so I don't miss it lol!!! Erm am I obsessed much.....yes I think so! :D

18. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! You'll never find a bottle of TSS in MY House..... blech! Barf! Retch! Spew! *scraping off my tongue to get rid of the bad taste*

So..... get an email updating the order...... "one or more of your items is backordered". WHAT! I call them and they say "oh, well the first warehouse was out, so they sent the order to second warehouse, the second warehouse was out, so they sent the order to the third warehouse..... which had it, and so you'll receive it somewhere around 4/24." So, guess I'm not doing it this weekend either!!! WAH!!!!!!!!!!

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Woot! Woot! Doing the eco-complete dance of joy. Should be delivered today which means I can change it over this weekend!!!!! Woot! Woot!

:;rocker :;perfect :;rocker

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Don't die =D