A Month Since Last Water Change

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Parameters are fine. 0,0,10
Its like the one downstairs. That can go for her without being cleaned. I think it's our filters.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Parameters are fine. 0,0,10
Its like the one downstairs. That can go for her without being cleaned. I think it's our filters.
I agree, to an extent. Water changes are needed for more than what we test ie nitrogen compounds. There are hundreds of things we don't test for, and can only be removed by water changes such as the hormones constantly being produced by fish. Then on the other side of that, all the nutrients needed by fish and plants can only be put back into the water by changing it.
@scarface explains that much better than I do so maybe he'll elaborate for me

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its funny...I haven't changed my water in my Walstad tank in a month and the plant growth is great. All fish are healthy and things are going great. Congrats

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree, to an extent. Water changes are needed for more than what we test ie nitrogen compounds. There are hundreds of things we don't test for, and can only be removed by water changes such as the hormones constantly being produced by fish. Then on the other side of that, all the nutrients needed by fish and plants can only be put back into the water by changing it.
Actually, you explained it quite well. There are definitely things besides nitrates in the water that we don't test for. Thus, I do believe water changes are still very important even if the parameters appear excellent. I think that a lack of consistent water changes are how old tank syndrome and tank crashes eventually happen. But I admit I haven't always kept a consistent or regular water change regimen in the past, especially for my window sill tanks. I do now.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With respect, the nutrients can be added with supplements like Seachem. I go rather long intervals between water changes. But keep in mind I use remineralize RO/DI water. So there is no build up of heavy metals and the like.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom