A lot to take in How Do I

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by xxSTEPHENSxx, Jan 7, 2011.

1. xxSTEPHENSxx

xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ok... complete noob here. I have FW down pretty good but of course always learning something new. I really want to get into SW tanks but I am just overloaded with the info. Is there some sort of bible for SW tank how to's?

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  3. OP
    OP
    xxSTEPHENSxx

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    Awesome! Thanks

4. OP
    OP
    xxSTEPHENSxx

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    Looking around online for it but do you think a local book store or LFS would carry it?

5. harpua2002

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They should, yes.

6. kloseo

kloseoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    2 years
    ebay is a good place to look, or amazon.com

7. harpua2002

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree, I've seen his book on Amazon for great prices.

8. Stang Man

Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Or you can ask me!!! And save money on a book and spend it on the things you will need down the road!!!!

9. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +44
    Experience:
    More than 10 years

Make a trip to the library. My library has a website where I can reserve books online and even browse other local libraries and reserve their books. Then all I have to do is go to my library and they will have all my books ready a few days later.

10. OP
    OP
    xxSTEPHENSxx

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to read the book AND ask lots of questions. I am going to take this slow but really anxious about getting started!

11. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeap!!! That is the key thing on starting a reef so keep it up!!!! Soon as you are ready , I can help for setup and give you info that will help !! All you have to do is ask!!!

12. zeeter

zeeterWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies is where I started out because I'm a dummy. But it's a pretty good book and doesn't talk down to you like if you mess one thing up you'll kill your entire tank and stop the earth from spinning on its axis.

13. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah I seen that book a few years ago and thought to my self who are they kidding??? And like a dummy I opened it and you are right good starting point to a certain degree!!! The only problem is that I say was that there is wwwaaayyyy More than that , I give the book thumbs down !!!! There i s alot more things that should be a factor and should have been in the book!!! I need to right a book like that!!!! Thanks for the heads up on that one,Zeeter!!!!

14. zeeter

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    That's the point of it. It gets you started to where you can talk logically with other people about things, but doesn't get you bogged down in the details so much. I'm not suggesting that a reefer use it as a reference book, but it tells you a lot of the basic stuff. If I had bought a detailed book that included everything that I've learned from experience and from reading here I probably wouldn't have gotten into the hobby.

15. Stang Man

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah I understand that!! When I first started the hobby was very new, and the books that where available where totally basic knowledge it was hard then to even get a tank started, Back then they suggested using an under gravel filter with power heads and use just a few pieces of LR, You would buy a fish and they would not live long at all and was very fustrating at first till the hobby was started and people tried all kinds of crazy stuff. Wow how times have changed !!!!

16. OP
    OP
    xxSTEPHENSxx

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    I will need a few books so I am open to them even if they aren't the best. I will need to read them all for it to make sense cause as of right now its all mubo jumbo...

I really don't know if I will have the funds to do R/O but come to think of it.... I was suppose to do that for my current FW tanks and didn't. They seem to be doing fine and after all the Prime I have bought you would think I own stock.

17. zeeter

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    There's more of a need in SW for RO/DI than in FW. As long as you condition for chlorine in FW you're probably fine. But in SW the fish are much, much more sensitive to the many different chemicals in the water. Plus the phosphate seeps into the live rock and causes huge algae problems and coral growth stunting. Even if you switch over to RO/DI after a few months the rocks will continue to leach out the phosphate for many months after that. For me it's been nine months since I switched over and I still get phosphate buildups to the point where I had to run a phosban reactor.

18. OP
    OP
    xxSTEPHENSxx

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    Good to know. Do you have a R/O system or do you buy your water?

19. zeeter

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    I bought the system. It's was a little pricey. Don't skimp on an RO/DI unit. What you save in price will be noticeable in the tank. Once you make the initial splurge into a unit the filters are fairly cheap. Mine are $10 each and need to be replaced yearly. The membrane costs around $50 but only needs to be replaced every 2-3 years. Some people can get theirs to last 5 years.

Oh - and your run off? If you have it running to the outside make sure you bring it in during freezing weather. I had a big "Duh" moment over the weekend where I was wondering why my good water was coming out so slow. It was because my bad water return was frozen!!! Yes, I was embarrassed and felt shame.

Back on point, I can't remember how big your tank is. If you have a 30 gallon tank then figure you'll be doing 5-10 gallon water changes every week. Maybe more, depending on your system. It might be worth it to stick with buying water as an RO/DI unit will take quite a while to be in the black over buying the water outright. But if you're around 55 gallons then getting an RO unit is a no-brainer.

20. OP
    OP
    xxSTEPHENSxx

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ok sounds good. What system did you buy? I'm probably going to do a 36-55 gal.

Become a Fishlore Member