A lot of BN Pleco questions!

samanther98

I got my Pleco as a baby not knowing anything about them, just looking for something to add with my betta and harlequins, the store suggested one and said the set up should be fine. I now know he should have a bigger tank, especially with the other fish, but I don't have the space right now.
My first question though, what kind does he look like?? I was told when I bought him that he was an albino bn but his eyes have never been red, they were bright blue so I thought lemon, but they've been getting darker as he gets bigger. Purchased back in April, the first two pics are about a month after I got him, my finger is only 2.5in long. He's now about 3in, growing kinda fast imo
My second question is if his coloring is normal? I can't find many specifics and thought knowing his type would help, he's always been sort of pink instead of yellow and it's also darkened as he grew but some days he looks golden. I just want to know he's healthy
He's recently been ignoring his wafers yet actively sucking all other surfaces and it just made me kind of nervous. He used to eat a wafer pretty quickly, I saw him nibbling yesterday but it was still there when I woke up today. About 5 days ago I had to do an emergency tank transfer, I had a 20L that became horribly overrun with mystery snails and no matter how frequent the water changes were it was just intolerable. I lost two of my harlequins. I just got vitachem yesterday but wasn't sure if I could treat his wafers, I couldn't find any info on it
Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!

Attachments

• 20210626_135053.jpg
    20210626_135053.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210519_155236.jpg
    20210519_155236.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210519_155245.jpg
    20210519_155245.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 21

FishPlanet

He's a blue eye lemon BN pleco. :)

Upvote 0

samanther98

He's a blue eye lemon BN pleco. :)
Is it normal for him to be so pink or am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0

Linda1234

BN eat a fair amount of meat. Lukcily you have some wood in your tank. Wood is required for bn pleco for successful digestion of food. Also what you see him doing when he is sucking things in the tank is he is eating the biofilm - this is a thin layer or microorganisms that forms on most material in the aquarium. I believe it is protein rich. My bn goes in phases eating meat and vegi. Since i supply both for the other fishes i let him decide what is best....

Btw the whiskers on the front are indication it is a male.

Upvote 0

samanther98

BN eat a fair amount of meat. Lukcily you have some wood in your tank. Wood is required for bn pleco for successful digestion of food. Also what you see him doing when he is sucking things in the tank is he is eating the biofilm - this is a thin layer or microorganisms that forms on most material in the aquarium. I believe it is protein rich. My bn goes in phases eating meat and vegi. Since i supply both for the other fishes i let him decide what is best....

Btw the whiskers on the front are indication it is a male.
Well I'm glad he's eating something! I wasn't sure if a new tank would've developed that already, my other fish eat bloodworms and I see him picking them from the gravel sometimes. &I was also SUPER excited when his whiskers started growing in! I like how round the females are but the whiskers are definitely cooler

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Mine eat bloodworms, brine shrimp, flakes, pellets, whatever the other fish miss while the food drifts down. Also like algae wafers, zuchinni and repashy morning wood.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I suspect your little guy is close to a year old by now. The bristles this long already is telling me that. My super red fry are just over a year old now and I can now tell males from females. The bristles on the males are starting but aren't really long yet. I am wondering if maybe either your little guys mom, dad or both were super reds mixed with something else thus the blue eyes. Super reds don't get as big as commons so your little guy may not get much bigger than he is right now.

Unless you know the bloodline of the male and female you never know what their babies are going to be. Elbert bred with a super red female. All of the fry were a dark brown with cream colored speckles and lines. None of them looked like mom or dad.

Elbert is that handsome fellow over there in my avatar. He is about 5 1/2 inches long. I have had him for 6 years so I have to think he will grow no bigger. I used to call him an albino but he doesn't have the red eyes. He isn't pink like my albino corys. He is actually orange.

My plecos love their zucchini. They get it a couple of times a week. They also get algae wafers, veggie rounds, shrimp pellets, kelp wafers and Replashy Morning Wood. Of course not everything every day but I do try to feed them a variety of food to make sure they get all they need.

I have found plecos tastes change as they age. When young they will eat everything in sight. Although well fed I couldn't keep live plants in my grow out tank. Your little guy may have decided he doesn't care as much for the algae wafers as he used to. Try switching up what you feed him. If you've not offered fresh veggies, such as zucchini, you may want to stuff some shrimp pellets in it to tempt him to try it out. This way he will get both his veggies and extra protein. Some folks blanch the veggies. I feed it raw.

Upvote 0

samanther98

I suspect your little guy is close to a year old by now. The bristles this long already is telling me that. My super red fry are just over a year old now and I can now tell males from females. The bristles on the males are starting but aren't really long yet. I am wondering if maybe either your little guys mom, dad or both were super reds mixed with something else thus the blue eyes. Super reds don't get as big as commons so your little guy may not get much bigger than he is right now.

Unless you know the bloodline of the male and female you never know what their babies are going to be. Elbert bred with a super red female. All of the fry were a dark brown with cream colored speckles and lines. None of them looked like mom or dad.

Elbert is that handsome fellow over there in my avatar. He is about 5 1/2 inches long. I have had him for 6 years so I have to think he will grow no bigger. I used to call him an albino but he doesn't have the red eyes. He isn't pink like my albino corys. He is actually orange.

My plecos love their zucchini. They get it a couple of times a week. They also get algae wafers, veggie rounds, shrimp pellets, kelp wafers and Replashy Morning Wood. Of course not everything every day but I do try to feed them a variety of food to make sure they get all they need.

I have found plecos tastes change as they age. When young they will eat everything in sight. Although well fed I couldn't keep live plants in my grow out tank. Your little guy may have decided he doesn't care as much for the algae wafers as he used to. Try switching up what you feed him. If you've not offered fresh veggies, such as zucchini, you may want to stuff some shrimp pellets in it to tempt him to try it out. This way he will get both his veggies and extra protein. Some folks blanch the veggies. I feed it raw.
They do look super similar! Both their heads are lighter than the body. I got him from That Fish Place, it doesn't say on their website what age they sell the babies but I wasn't expecting him to be so old lol I was hoping he'd get closer to 6in
He's eaten zucchini before but ignored it entirely two days ago, I was thinking of trying spinach. I'm not sure if he stopped liking it or if he doesn't like the clip I bought, was sick of it floating out from under rocks/wood.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

They do look super similar! Both their heads are lighter than the body. I got him from That Fish Place, it doesn't say on their website what age they sell the babies but I wasn't expecting him to be so old lol I was hoping he'd get closer to 6in
He's eaten zucchini before but ignored it entirely two days ago, I was thinking of trying spinach. I'm not sure if he stopped liking it or if he doesn't like the clip I bought, was sick of it floating out from under rocks/wood.
Your little guy could keep growing so you may still get your wish. Elbert kept growing after his bristles started growing so there is still hope. I was just going by what I am seeing in my fry. Elbert got to this size in about a year after I got him. I suspect he was at least 6 months old when I got him since he was already 1 1/2 inches long when I first got him. That would mean he was full grown at 1 1/2 years old. My fry are just over a year old now and are about the size of your little guy right now. Both mom and dad were super reds though and they don't grow as big as other species of BN.

Both Elbert and Evelyn's fry and Little Red and Evelyn's (both super reds) fry were close to a year old before I started seeing bristles and could tell males from females. This is the only reason I am thinking your little guy is at least a year old now.

I know what you mean about trying to keep the zucchini down. I actually use a wand from a mini-blind to hold it down. My 55 gallon tank is 21 inches deep so I needed something fairly long. Sometimes it takes a few days for our water pets to get used to changes. Hopefully your little guy will get used to the new clip soon. BTW: My adult BN plecos prefer the zucchini skin. I know that because they eat every bit of it before eating any of the rest.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
  • Question
Replies