A Long Way From A Bowl With A Fish In It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nappers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, here's a sketch of how I've set up my tank, I'm hoping there's some others out there who enjoy the rediculously overcomplicated and might appreciate my efforts or even share their ideas.
It's made even more insane because this is on a 5gal cube - so lets call it a prototype for bigger things (don't tell the boss).
It's all up and running apart from some finishing touches.
20190310_213231.jpg

Be kind

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, here's a sketch of how I've set up my tank, I'm hoping there's some others out there who enjoy the rediculously overcomplicated and might appreciate my efforts or even share their ideas.
It's made even more insane because this is on a 5gal cube - so lets call it a prototype for bigger things (don't tell the boss).
It's all up and running apart from some finishing touches.
View attachment 536100
Be kind
Wow! Is that dosing pump manual, for when you add or change RO water? (I don't do RO or CO2 so I know almost nothing about how it's done!)o_O So you drain the tank from the sump intake (that IS a sump, right?) and from the other direction? Very practical! Saves work too! Wow (again)! Nice schematic! Are you a draftsman or engineer? Easy to read! When do we get to see the actual 'machine' at work?

Nappers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm an obsessive plumber and a geek.
I do enjoy making and designing so it's been fun (mostly).
Tank drains to drain and fills from a barrel of RO
Dosing pump is automatic.
One day you'll look back at this and facepalm. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Anyway, since you said it's already set up, can we see a pic?
I already do, equally proud and ashamed

20190310_220636.jpg

This is under stairs cupboard, tanks in other room

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm an obsessive plumber and a geek.
I do enjoy making and designing so it's been fun (mostly).
Tank drains to drain and fills from a barrel of RO
Dosing pump is automatic.

I already do, equally proud and ashamed
I now know who to call when planning my fish room

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Nappers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lights have just come on, I've got issues with stunted plants and fert balance but I'm going with it at the moment.
20190312_100546.jpg

I could run another couple of 5gal tanks on this setup but I wouldn't setup another small tank, it's definitely lots harder to balance than a 'proper' tank!

Nappers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol, seriously tho 200gal would be nice, got some deals to do with the Mrs before that'll happen tho!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lights have just come on, I've got issues with stunted plants and fert balance but I'm going with it at the moment.View attachment 536551

I could run another couple of 5gal tanks on this setup but I wouldn't setup another small tank, it's definitely lots harder to balance than a 'proper' tank!
The tank is gorgeous, and I appreciate the thought and work you put into this...
However comma,
I have to ask:
1. With that insane sump plumbed in, why still have the HOB hanging on the tank?
2. How can you regulate flow through that whole system and get enough head pressure to feed back into the tank without blowing everything away?
3. Why not just run a reef-type sump and consolidate all of that into one box, and then your probes and sensors aren't in the display?

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My three favourite letters in the whole alphabet are D I Y...I love this set-up! And you are so right about it being a "dry-run" for something monstrous in the future. All the same principles will apply, and you will have the experience and know-how to make the big system perfect.

Now, since "however" was already used, I will stoop to using "but"...so here goes:

BUT...one of the main benefits (in my opinion) to obsessive plumbing projects like this is the fact that all the hardware can be remote and hidden; and yet this tank still has a ton of tubes and other gadgets on display in the tank itself. What gives? Is that actually a HOB filter I see in there? You've gotta be kidding me!

It's already a beautiful aquarium. Just imagine it without the Home Depot plumbing department sitting on top; it would be perfect!

Nappers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys, I'll clear some of it up for you

It's not a HOB filter it's a hang on breeder, currently has 30+ shrimplets in it (away from the Betta and Danios).

The ph, temp and tds sensors will be going inline when I sort that out.

I tried to design a sump but finding/making suitable parts for a 5gal rimless tank with 1cm gap from water to rim was too much effort. Original plan was to have an overflow on the tank but unfortunately without drilling the tank I can't get a reliable natural drain large enough and have it keep it's syphon (hence no sump) so will need to keep float switch in tank too.
I already had the fluval 305 and wanted to try and make an anoxic canister filter.

To regulate flow I use the clear pipe that runs up the wall and a valve on the outlet, when not running the canister the water level in the pipe is same as the tank but when the canister's on, the level drops in relation to the flow, if you look carefully there's two marks on the wall for tank level and flow rate.

Thanks for the feedback!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks guys, I'll clear some of it up for you

It's not a HOB filter it's a hang on breeder, currently has 30+ shrimplets in it (away from the Betta and Danios).

The ph, temp and tds sensors will be going inline when I sort that out.

I tried to design a sump but finding/making suitable parts for a 5gal rimless tank with 1cm gap from water to rim was too much effort. Original plan was to have an overflow on the tank but unfortunately without drilling the tank I can't get a reliable natural drain large enough and have it keep it's syphon (hence no sump) so will need to keep float switch in tank too.
I already had the fluval 305 and wanted to try and make an anoxic canister filter.

To regulate flow I use the clear pipe that runs up the wall and a valve on the outlet, when not running the canister the water level in the pipe is same as the tank but when the canister's on, the level drops in relation to the flow, if you look carefully there's two marks on the wall for tank level and flow rate.

Thanks for the feedback!
Awesome! It looked like you had it all worked out, and I just didn't understand. Very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom