A little urgent infomation for killifish needed

tkfury
I went to go finally pick u some endler's but the store was still closed ended up just going to petsmart instead so I could at least get some more decorations for the smaller tanks. While waiting in line one of my friends comes over and asks if I found anything for my 22g yet (she works there) then asked if I would take their - golden wonder? killifish. She didn't know much about them other than the manager wanted to get rid of them since they came in on accident in a gourami order. I know I've read a little bit about killifish but I couldn't remember any details so I didn't want to take them but then I heard the manager talking to one of the other employees and changed my mind.

My only problem right now is I just can't seem to find any consitant infomation about them. I'm pretty sure she said they were golden wonder, they look like the pictures I've seen anyways. There's three of them, 1.5-2.5inches. I know it probably wasn't a good iodea to put them in the tank with my cories and otos but I don't have anywhere else to put them. They've been staying at the surface so far, venturing towards the middle every now and then. Two did check out my baby panda cory at the bottom but were scared off when the peppered cory came out of his cave. The lid does fit tightly - had to add the backing back on around the filter and heater but I'm pretty sure they can't jump out.

How big do these guys get? Petsmart has their water temp at 82F but I try to keep mine at 78F but I think I read that they like colder water? Can they thrive at 78? Will they get along with the cories and otos - do they always stay right at the surface? I do have dried blood worms, daphina and shrimp that my other fish enjoy as well as a few differant kind of flakes and crisps so I'll see what they like tomorrow.

I guess I just want to know, can I keep these three fish in my 22g (16x16x20) at 78F with cories and otos or should I talk to the lfs guy and see if he can take them or help me find a better home for them? The manager at petsmart said he was probably going to destroy them. I know my friend would of taken them but she just has bettas and piranhas now.

susitna-flower
WOW, what a gift! Sounds like you have the skinny on them. It says they can be kept at "room temp" I take that to mean 70 +
and are JUMPERS. With the fish you have in the tank, you might get fry if you add java moss for the eggs to be laid on.

If I were you I'd keep them, it sounds like a good mix with your corys and otoes.

They DO stay at the surface, which to me is a plus, because I like to have fish at all levels. They get to 4.5" though probably a little smaller is normal for the aquarium.

Hopefully people with more experience with these will post.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. I think there is as many people interested in killifish as there are endlers, it is fun to have something different! :;z

tkfury
I think I only have to worry about them jumping when its feeding time, I have a glass canopy but so far they hide under the closed halfwhen my hand moves over the tank.

Yesterday they all hung out at the top but when I added my cories tablet in one just hung out around it (didn't eat from it - just stuck with the cories). They apparently like any food I put in the tank but the tablets so hopefully I'm good there. They're all showing more color today and move around a lot more so I'm hoping that means they like it there.

tkfury
I just noticed a white spot on my peppered cory's nose and then on top of one of the smaller killi's head Raising the temp to 80 at the moment and just did a water change and found something out that's rather important they bite! I found my tetras like to check my hand out when I'm moving around their plants, my danios only nip at my cat's whiskers but these guys. Sheesh, it startled me at first since I didn't see them come over to my hand at first but the entire time they're nipping at my arm. I've got a bit of a red spot where the big one got me but I was more worried about them jumping out. Maybe they knew they were gunna be eating shortly and figured out what I want to try and hand feed? I read they are carnivores so I drag the bloodworms across the water and they just went crazy - pretty sure they liked it since they didn't just grab it and swim away. They grabbed it, chowed down and went back to following my hand.

The one that stays towards the midde and bottom swims up to the top whenever someone comes close but if you stand still he'll swim back down and check you out - follow you across the tank even so I'm very curious. My other fish follow but they just want food, these guys, well they probably want food too but maybe because they are bigger I notice them looking around more as if to say "hey you - whatcha doing? what the heck are you?"

susitna-flower
It really sounds like you are enjoying this addition to your tank.

I hope the white spots are not a problem, hopefully all tank mates can stand a little higher than normal temp for awhile. In my reading it sounds like 75-78 is optomal for the killies, since 82 is necessary to kill ick, you may be stressing them out a bit. I wonder if that is why the LFS had their tank at 82? Good luck with that.

Does it look like you have male and female? It sounds like they breed easily, and you should expect additions to your tank.

I have found several sites that explain breeding. Is this part of your plans?

tkfury
I'm hoping they arn't a problem either. With any luck the higher temp and water changes will take care of things and I don't have to use any medications. I did pick up some of the API ick medicine just incase - I don't want to have to use any incase my otos decide they want to be even more delicate on me. But I'm hoping I noticed it intime that it can be done and over with without anyone getting too stressed out.

Is there anything that might help with stress? I can't very well tell them to imagine they are in a nice cool stream but I want to make this as stressless as possible for them. I think I'm going to try and feed them more often (just less so its still the same amount) since I think they enjoyed chasing their food if that might help?

I'm pretty sure I have a male and two females - I haven't gotten in the hang of using the correct gender when referring to fish yet I'm afraid. My cats have always been male so its just natural for me to refer to them as male. I've only had them for a few days now but I'm already thinking of redoing my dream tank to focus on killis, just something about them.I think I might like to look into bredding them but not now, its just not realistic for me to want that. But if it happens, it happens - they has got to be some people in my area that would be interested in them after all?

susitna-flower
Capekate is also posting about killifish bought at petsmart in MA, what a coincidence. You should compare notes. Sounds like she has two males however.

If you want to breed, I don't think the fish you have in the tank would be a threat. Provide a "mop" in the tank, if you want to remove the eggs to another tank to hatch, or lots of java moss, if you want to try to hatch them out with the parents.

I am interested in learning about this, have you found out yet if since they are carnivorous if they are bad about eating their young?

Tom
They usually lay the eggs and then just leave them to fend for themselves, so they would eat the eggs if the time came up and they found them again. Make sure you have lots of surface cover for them cause they will feel more secure that way and are less likely to jump. Have fun with them.
Tom

capekate
They usually lay the eggs and then just leave them to fend for themselves, so they would eat the eggs if the time came up and they found them again. Make sure you have lots of surface cover for them cause they will feel more secure that way and are less likely to jump. Have fun with them.
Tom

HI Tom,
It looks like one of my original rainbows may be pregnant. She is getting a big belly. What should I do to prepare her or the eggs for hatching.. IF she is in fact pregnant.

~ kate

Tom
HI Tom,
It looks like one of my original rainbows may be pregnant. She is getting a big belly. What should I do to prepare her or the eggs for hatching.. IF she is in fact pregnant.

~ kate

Did you feed her right before looking at her? That is usually the cause. Do you have a male and female in the tank? If there isn't a male, the female usually won't try and lay with another female, so I don't really know what to say other than that.
Tom

tkfury
I find that a relief - I don't really want to worry about any babies (only baby I want right now is my "baby" panda cory heh).

So far everyone is still acting normal. I think anyways - I've found the killi's come down towards the bottom at night but maybe they are just interested in the cories activities? I know every time I go to watch them they swim over to the site looking at me and sometimes they follow my finger along the glass - I'm very happy I changed my mind, even if they did bite me again while I was checking up on my otos.

Would placing some left over fake plant parts (I get the extra long ones so I can break 'em into the sizes I want) on the surface and letting them float (or attach them to the side) be good?

And I was just thinking. It seems killis would be a nice addiction to a tall tank set up as 3/4 aquarium 1/4 terrarium or something of the sort. Easier to watch them when they're at the surface maybe? No no no, can't start thinking about that. I've enough tanks I'm dreaming of right now.

Tom
If you can get some floating plants like duck weed or java moss, that would do even better for them instead of the fake plants. The killifish prefer tanks that are shallow with a low level of water, and a it be long and wide, but not deep. Hope it helps.
Tom

tkfury
Ah, I was just thinking that with a tall tank (about 70) that you could break the tank up nicely with the surface dwellers, middle hanging and then the bottom dwellers. Was just a thought but thanks for pointing that out. Saddly my tank is a bit on the deep side. They seem to enjoy taking a dive to the bottom and checking everyone out.

I'll see if I can make it to a few of the stores tomorrow to see if they have any of the plants. I've been wanting java moss for awhile so hopefully the new store I found will have it.

I wish I had the room for another tank - I'd love to give them they're own perfect 20-30g tank.

Thank you very much

Tom
In all honesty, I have some killifish in a 18" tall tank and they are doing great, but they also have tons of cover and tons of floating plants to hide in as well so they feel comfortable and come out a lot.
Tom

tkfury
Mine's 20". I so just have the leftover plant parts linked together and floating for now. The lighting is of course a little dimmer now but if anything I think my cories like it more (baby panda has been come up and checking the plants - its like he knows they don't belong up there).

If you don't mind my asking - how would you describe your killifish's personalities? I really wasn't expecting them to be as, interactive? I think that might be the word I'm looking for. Is that pretty much just standard for larger fish compared tetras?

Tom
I would say that they are curious little fish that can hold their own against anything about the size of a krib, which mine have. Also, if you want to add some peat moss to the filter, it will help the tank become more acidic and tannins will be released and the killifish will love it even more. Pretty much any fish will like the peat, except African cichlids.
Tom

tkfury
Acidic is on the lower part of the pH scale, correct? Last I checked I believe my water is at 7.8 but that was before I added some wood. Just checked and it comes up as 7.6

Silly question but were exactly would I find peat moss?

I know I read that they are carnivorous - does that have anything to do with their sleep pattern? They always chase after the sinking food I add at night for my cories and otos so I know they're awake to eat - would givng them a baby shrimp or two at night on top of their morning and evening feedings hurt?

Tom
You can get peat moss at any hardware store, but I would put some in an empty tank and let some small really cheap fish go with it to make sure there isn't any chemicals in the peat that can harm your fish. I don't think that the food they eat effects sleep patterns, but I may be wrong. They could just be interested in the food and smell it when it is in the tank, so they would go after it.
Tom

Tom
Missed it and too lazy to edit last post, but yes, acidic means anything less than 7 on the pH scale.
Tom

tkfury
About how long would it take to test the peat moss? Maybe try it in the 5 gallon with a zebra danio so if all is well he'll beable to go have some fun in the 10g. Would a zebra danio be okay being alone for that long (few days perhaps)?

I know I've heard people refer to guppies as mouths with fins but I'm really starting to think that goes doube for killis. I'll be watching them and they turn to face me and it kind of looks like they're yawning real quick

I found a 29 gallon aquarium with a "supposed" complete set up for $60. The only place I'd have room for it would be where my 10 gallon tanks are. The tank is just as deep but its almost twice as long as my 22g so its really tempting. I keep reading zebra danios actually perfer cooler temperatures as well so I could combine the two. Not sure what I would do with the tetras, they seem to do so much better in the 10 gallon - maybe put it where my 5 gallon is (no more 5 gallon then though). Its a nice deal on the tank regardless if I can currently use it or not so I may just end up buying it anyways and hold out until I have some room. Too many choices!

Heh, thank you so much again. I really do appreicate everything!

Tom
I tested the peat for about a month to see how much was needed to change the pH and get the water softer.

No problem for that help, that is what I am here for.
Tom

tkfury
A friend of mine that works at Petsmart says she can get me some sort of plant her mother has floating in her tank next time I'm out her way - she's actually offered me quiet a bit trimmings so I'm hoping I can slowly convert all my tanks to live plants ^_^

I've been experiementing with foods for my killis after I've seen them chase the cories from their sinking tablet a few times. They'll eat everything but flakes and now turn their nose up at daphina. They seem to really like the Tetra MicroCrabs Cyclop-EEZE. My small female gobbled up almsot of them ebfore they could hit the bottom. They even eat the crisps I add in for the cories so I'm hoping they are getting everything they need food wise.

I finally brought home my first betta and I swear she almost looks just like my killis - acts just like them too which is so sweet. I set her cupt down next to the tank while I was getting everything ready and they all came down to the corner to check her out.

Tom
My killis love their duck weed and water sprite that floats at the surface adn they hide in the roots.
Tom

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Danyaroo
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
Kamaile
Replies