A little story and your thoughts...

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First off I have found your site to be extremely helpful and packed with good information. I have read all of your tutorials for fresh water fish keeping and found them very informative and useful.

Just today I used a link supplied by one of your tutorials to purchase a master test kit along with a few other needed items...

Now onto the issues at hand...

1: I bought my daughter a ten gallon tank and set it up. I read one of the tutorials about filtering and the pros an cons of under gravel filters. Well an under gravel came with the tank so that's what I had set up. So after reading about the under gravel stuff I decided to poke around my equipment collection (I used to have a 29 gallon set up with an Oscar in it) Well I found a power head and an aqua clear minI from my feeder fish tank. So I put the power head on one half of the under gravel filter and extended the other tube above the water line and placed the suction tube from the aqua clear minI into that half.

1: QUESTION -- Will this be a good set up for this tank ?

2: BEFORE I read about the infamous cycle of new tanks I bought 2 guppies for the tank. Currently they seem to be alright but spend much of their time hanging out in the bottom of the tank. They are not laying on the gravel of anything just close to the bottom and appear to be hiding from my daughter to be honest. There are 2 fake plants and a little castle in the tank and they are purposely behind them most of the time. The tank has now been set up for 3 days.

2: QUESTION -- I know I have made a mistake but I would like to know what the best course of action for me to take is.

Thanks a lot for this great site and I look forward to reading your suggestions and responses. ;D

dazzler

Reaction score
gargoyle, welcome to fishlore, the people here rock!!! o.k lets get down to business; cycling with fish takes longer than no fish cycling due to water changes of 40-50% which you will need to do daily to keep the ammonia down.. this keeps the fish happy and healthy.. Many people here are do NOT like underground filter they can leave ammonia pockets and when disturbed can release them into the tank. problems there!! you have a 10 gallon tank so if you can afford it purchase a filter that is 100 gallons per hour as you need a filtration rate of 10x the size of your tank. there is nothing wrong with an U.G.F but not many people here use them. I have a 67g tank with 600gph filter I cannister filter and 1 in the hood filter. o.k when you get your test kit post the results here and we can help you further

hoped this has helped somewhat

regards Dazzler

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Dazzler...

The MinI mentioned in my first post can flow 100gph. So I think I am set there... These pockets or air you speak of... Could they still form with a power head and a back filter hooked up to them ?? I would think the current created would keep air pocketing at a minimum especially is such a small tank ?

Any idea how long it takes PETCO to deliver goods ?? I ordered some chemical from them to treat the tap water for the tank. If it takes a while I will need to go to the store and get some ASAP... I did not plan ahead very well on this one..

Once again.. Thank you!!

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
READINGS from test done earlier today...

Ammonia - .25 or less... Color was weaker than the .25 reading so not 100% on that .25 number..
Nitrite - .0
Nitrate - 5.0 or less... Same as Ammonia reading notation.
PH - 7.6... Which I am happy with.

Now one of my guppies died... I believe it had a bacterial infection of some sort as I thought the guppy was pregnant even though I was told it was a male. Any way the little guy was severely bloated and it seemed to happen rather quickly. So I kept an eye on him and all seemed fine as he was swimming along and acting fine. But the next morning there he was... Dead...

Possibly Dropsy or some other infection as the other guppy looks and acts just fine. Actually it is more active now that the other one is gone.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
WOW, sounds like your cycle is progressing nicely. You could however do some water change at 5 on the nitrates. For a small tank it doesn't take much to really get that nitrate up. Even 25 % change would help keep your tank healthy. Continue checking every couple of days.

I think you may be right about your fish. Guppies can be sensitive to the ph, but that should have showed up right after they came home. Be sure to acclimate your fish SLOWLY when you bring them home. I take 4 or 5 hours to do mine. Floating the gag in the tank, and adding a cup at a time of tank water to the bag, before adding them to the tank. As you go along, and want more and more fish, you might want to use your 10 gal for a 'hospital tank', quarantining the new fish for a couple of weeks before you add them to a bigger tank! What a neat hobby to share with your kids!

Fish in the Frozen North. -5F this morning.

The IDIDAROD SLED DOG race is starting this morning in Anchorage. IF you are interested, KTUU will have articles, updates and video clips all week!

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will be testing again tomorrow just to double check the test results. Looks like that Cycle product does help quite a bit. I did not expect to get readings like that so soon.

Off topic a bit but does anyone know how to take pics of an aquarium with a digital camera ?? I can't for the life of me get a good pic. ;D

Thanks!!

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
There are threads on taking pictures, and how to do it under the picture section. I don't visit there often because I am slow in the technology department, don't have a digital camera! But I know I have seen it there. We always like to see pictures.

Fish in the Frozen North. +22F this afternoon. 8)

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the info!! I will work on getting pics up..

I re-did my tests after a 25% water change...

Ammonia is steady at .25
Nitrite went up to about .25 I am guessing... Colors do not match well on these tests.. LOL!!
Nitrate went up to 20
PH is steady at 7.6 to 7.7 or so.. A touch high but fixable.

I need to learn how these tests read... I hold it against the card and none of the colors match... So I ask my wife and she has the same problem I do. So I ask my three year old and she gives it to me straight.. So those are her numbers.. ;D

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the colors... it is kind of like computers, just give it to your kid, they can figure it out. For me with 50 yo + eyes it can be tricky.

In my tank if the nitrate gets up to 20 I do a 50% water change. Usually this would be when I would test every day, and change another 50% every day until I get the nitrate down to 10 or below. Especially if you are still reading anything above 0 on the other two.

It does sound like you're making progress, feels good doesn't it.

Fish in the Frozen North

New Threads