A little stocking help please!

1. sumocopter Initiate Member

Hi,

I'm after a little help with stocking in my 45 gal 48" long x 18" tall x 12" wide tank. Its well filtered, around 24oC (75oF), and all stats look good, its been running like this for a while now without any problems.

Currently I have 3 young angels, 2 blue rams, 1 opaline gourami, 4 small pentazona barbs (that dont seem to want to grow) and a sucking loach who bullies everything else!!

How full is this tank? What other fish would be good tankmates for these guys?

Thanks for your help!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    with the fish you have, id raise the temps to 78-80F ..they like it a bit warmer...you might be able to have a nice school of cories for the bottom...what kind of loach is it?

otherwise, I think you angels will take over the tank with the gourami close behind them as far as middle topw dwellers...can you share pics?

3. kacie Member Member

I would add 2-4 more blue rams or a pair of keyholes. Have any pictures?

4. sumocopter Initiate Member

The loach as far as I know is just known as a sucking loach.Hes about 3" long and spends his time scuttling round the bottom and chasing the rams.

i'm not a big fan of cories but i was thinking about a shoal of something... any ideas?

pics on the way soon!

do rams like larger shoals then? excuse my ignorance on this, i'm still learnig about these types of fish

pics tomorrow when the lights are back on (its midnight here in the uk!)

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

with 3 angels in there, as adults, they arent going to tolerate that many more fish IMO
    rams do ok in pairs ..they dont need more..and if they are a breeding pair, they wont tolerate more.....cant wait for pics!

6. sumocopter Initiate Member

are there any smaller fish that would shoal nicely without annoying the angels?

the rams are not a breeding pair, i think ive got two males, they are very similarly coloured and fins look the same shape. one of the angels did defend an area of the tank for a while but he seemed to be on his own in the area and gave up after a while! i think the angels might be a bit young for breeding just yet but i'm hoping they might have some joy in the future

7. sumocopter Initiate Member

Ive had a bit of a look round, how would a shoal of 8 or so serpae tetras or black widow tetras go in this tank?

8. sumocopter Initiate Member

Ok, so I promised photos - where is best to upload them to for a URL? - cheers for your help

9. Shadowbeam Member Member

hey hey, for url stuff i use photobucket, great place!
    Don't know how they do things on here mind oyu, cant wait for photo's!

10. sumocopter Initiate Member

Photos as promised (hope this works!)

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

11. sumocopter Initiate Member

so any suggestions as to what shoaly fish to go for?

12. alicem Member Member

Oh, you've posted picts!
    You have a very attractive tank, congrats. :;toast
    Ram females will have a rosy colored belly. :;th
    Here's my GBR long fin female, and you see her rose colored belly?
    137.jpg

Your "sucking loach" may be either a Siamese Algae Eater (commonly called a SAE) or Chinese Algae Eater (CAE).
    I hope it's the SAE because the CAE can get 12" long and become very aggressive...

The black widow tetra might be a better tank mate with the angel.
    I've read that the serpae tetra tend to be fin nippers and that would annoy your angel.
    hth,
    alicem

13. sumocopter Initiate Member

thanks alot :) its been a pleasure getting it this far :)

having looked at pics of both and ive got a funny feeling ive got a chinese one! He is very similarly coloured to the CAE pictured on this site in the aquarium magazine may 08 part. He's currently about 3" long and has been for as long as i can remember but can be a right bossy so and so, he will chase anything else in the tank off but particularly likes chasing the rams around - they have plenty of places to hide though so i think they will be fine.

14. alicem Member Member

I think the main difference in appearance between the SAE and CAE is the
    black line that runs the legnth of it.
    If it goes all the way through to the end of the tail fin, it is more likely SAE.
    If it stops before the tail fin, then CAE.
    alicem

15. Shadowbeam Member Member

Your tank and fish look great! Glad to have seen some pics, thanks for sharing :)