A little help?

1. JamesTosches Initiate Member

A little help? I have 5 Neon Tetras. I got the first two on Saturday, the last 3 yesterday. I have my water cycled and all of that (got rid of the chlorine,ammonia,etc). Can Neon Tetras get stressed if I move around their tank too much? For instance, if I move a plant to a different side of the tank, will that severely upset them? Also, when I am moving a plant and get it out, is the sudden movement of fish food flakes that were at the bottom rising up okay? Or is it abnormal? Thanks guys.

:;scuba

2. fresh water Member Member

Your profile said you just started the tank up 3 days ago. How did you cycle it, do you have a filter, heater in a 1 gallon tank? Movement in the tank shouldn't bother the neons, if you have that much food laying on the bottom in the gravel you are over feeding

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Many people starting out in fishkeeping mistakenly thinking that cycling a tank is putting dechlorinated water into a tank and letting the filter run for a day or two with no fish in the tank.

In reality cycling is a whole biological process that needs to occur. I highly recommend that you read up on the nitrigen cycle (clicking the words should take you to a link about it.)

Basically though the cycle goes like this:
    Fish produce waste which turns into toxic ammonia.
    With ammonia in the water, in time a bacteria will grow in your filter media that consumes all the ammonia in your water and releases toxic nitrites.

With nitrites in the water, in time a second bacteria will grow in your filter media that consumes all nitrites in the water and release far less toxic nitrates.

Then you remove nitrates thru weekly partial water changes.

So in order to stop from killing your fish, they need to be in a cycled tank. There are two ways to cycle a tank:

Fishless, where you add an ammonia source to simulate the ammonia that the fish produce.

Or

Fish-in where you either do daily partial water changes with a water conditioner which can detox ammonia and nitrites keeping your fish safe from exposure or you can add a bottle of SafeStart and not have to do daily water changes.

SafeStart contains the same bacteria that will naturally develope in your filter media. When using SafeStart it is imortant to follow the directions as close to the letter as possible.

Since you already have fish in the tank, if you opt to try using SafeStart post and someone will give you guidence on the best way to proceed with it, since you will not be able to follow the directions exactly.

4. Jayha68 Member Member

I too fell into the 'buy aquarium read later" trap at a big LFS chain. From what you've posted go out and grab some Prime, it's been preserving my fish while my tank finishes it's cycle. I'd advise NOT under any circumstances adding more fish until you get the good readings (ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm and nitrates under 20ppm). Do daily WC's of 30-50%, add the Prime and be patient, it was hard for me and still waiting for my nitrite cycle finish. Be sure to get a good water testing kit as well, I like the api master tester and it runs about $40 around here.

Edit: just noticed you have a 1gal tank, so water changes of 50% should be a piece of cake.

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Oops, I didn't notice the 1 gallon tank. You really need a larger tank. I'd say 10 gallons minimum. Sadly a 1 gallon tank isn't large enough for any fish.

6. JamesTosches Initiate Member

Thanks guys. Wouldn't a 1 gallon tank be good for A Gold Mystery Snail (Apple Snail)? Because that is really all I want right now. Thanks

7. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

You should go out and buy a five gallon tank one gallon is way to small for tetras! and then you could add a apple snail.