29 Gallon Tank A little help please

Chew375

I have set up my 29 Gal. aquarium on 12/21/10. About 5 days later I had added 4 Clown Mollies to the tank. The first day they seemed to swim all over the place. A Day ago, I decided to add 5 red tetras to the tank. They seem fine. Swimming really good. Staying together, no problems. The Clown Mollies: 1 is swimming like he's on speed, and the other 3 are on the bottom, hiding and not moving, unless I feed them. Should I be concerned about this? Should I do a 10-20% water change to the tank? I don't know my parameters of the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shepard

the mollies maybe scared but will get used to them and hope you luck

ryanr

Welcome to fishlore

How did you cycle this tank?

If the tank hasn't cycled, then it is most likely stress from an un-cycled tank.

There's a link to the nitrogen cycle in my signature. ;nin2)

If the tank is not cycled, we can help guide you through Fish-in cycling.

I also see you don't have a test kit. I strongly recommend you get yourself a liquid test kit (the API master kit has everything you need). Without Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings it's very difficult to help.

Also worth mentioning is your acclimation process. There is more to adding fish to a new tank than just matching the temperatures.

Chew375

The only thing I did and still doing is adding NutraFin Cycle to the tank before adding the fish. Before adding those fish I also used Tetra AuqaSafe Plus and Tetra Eastbalance Plus the whole time before I added the fish to the tank. After I added the Clown mollies, I used a Stress Coat. Same thing goes for the red tetras. I added Stress Coat after adding those to the tank. Like I said, the red tetras are doing good no problem. it's just the mollies that are acting weird.

Chew375

Thanks for the help on this! So should I go ahead and do a 10-20% water change to help this along?

ryanr

Yes absolutely go ahead with the water change.

If possible, I recommend getting hold of Seachem Prime or Amquel+ and Nova+, these water conditioners will help to de-toxify the harmful ammonia for approx 24 hrs. (note: Prime by itself, or both Amquel+ and Nova+ used together)

Without a test-kit, it's going to make it a challenge to know when to stop, but here's my recommended approach:

Get a bottle of Tetra Safe Start and dump the whole bottle in the tank.
Daily water changes of 20%, using Prime or Amquel+

Ideally you need to test the water daily to monitor the cycle. Your cycle is complete when ammonia is at 0, nitrite is at 0, and there are some Nitrates present. If you haven't already, please read the Nitrogen Cycle article to understand the process.

And, please be patient, it can take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank.

During the cycling, your fish may become stressed, making them susceptible to disease (particularly ICH). Both Prime and Amquel+/Nova+ have slime coat promoters in them to help protect your fish.

If you find the fish are loosing their appetite, you can try using Garlic Guard (or home-made Garlic juice, there's info on this forum) to help encourage them to eat. The garlic also helps boost the fishes immune systems.

And lastly, and most importantly, do not add any more fish until at least 2 weeks after the cycle finishs.

Llama

Aye, do a water change. And try to get a test kit. It'll be a great help. Usually when something is wrong, first thing you do is test the water.

Chew375

Ok great. Just got done reading the Nitrogen Cycle. I understand it now. Going to go and do the water change now. I will be getting a test kit tomorrow for sure!

Your help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot!

ryanr

You're welcome. Feel free to come back with more questions.

Oh - and another thing you could do is, if you have friends with fish, get some of their filter media which already has the good bacteria on it. This is known as using seeded media, which really helps to speed up the cycle.

And on the water changes, be sure to match the temperature of the fresh water with that of the tank before adding it in

Chew375

Ok. I'm back. Yesterday, I had done a 20% water change. Today, I went and bought a test kit, Prime, and Stress Zyme. I added the Stress Zyme to the tank. Done a test on the water and the results are as follows....

Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Alk: 120ppm
Chlorine: 0
Hardness: 75ppm
Ph: 7.2

I don't know about the Ammonia. From what the box on the testing kit said, everything is where it should be. I figure, I will let the water do it's thing for the next 24 hours and go from there.

btw....I did have 4 Clown Mollies, but I have only found 3. The other one must be in good hiding. The 5 Red Serpae Tetras are doing great. Swimming, and playing around.

Werewolf

Chew375 said:
Ok great. Just got done reading the Nitrogen Cycle. I understand it now. Going to go and do the water change now. I will be getting a test kit tomorrow for sure!

Your help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Tetra Safe Start works, well, it did for me anyway.

However, no water changes for at least 7 to 10 days after adding it according to the Tetra folks.

the water change you plan is very, very likely to be necessary based on previous posts but since you've already added TSS you'll probably need to add more. After you do the water change test the ammonia level again. If it's over 4 PPM do another change as 4 PPM is toxic to the bacteria in TSS according to Tetra. Once you get the ammonia level down below 4 go ahead and add another 30gal dose of TSS. It'll cloud your water up for a while but if you do everything right your tank will be cycled in 10 to 12 days.

Good Luck...

Chew375

My aquarium

Here is a photo of what my tank looks like. Not the greatest, but it's def. a start. Enjoy! (granted the circumstances)

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom