A little help please

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I have a problem with my Tiger Barbs and Silver Dollars, they swim off to the side, and sit off to the side. They have been doing this for a few days now. Could there be something wrong with their swimbladder? I feed them 1x a day and I give each of them one "Mini Stick" which is very small, and a pinch of flakes. Also, my water has been seeming a bit cloudy.... I change 2 gals of water every other day. I have a 35 gallon tank. Any input? Thanks,

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't test my water ???. I am vacuuming the gravel with my water changes, is that bad? I don't vacuum EVERY nook and cranny, and I do that once a week.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Testing your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels is a necessary tool on what is going on with your tank. Your water can be crystal clear, and have high ammonia or nitrites, which stress your fish. Since you don't test your water, it would be impossible to know if your tank is cycled at this time. You can also clean your tank too well, and cause problems to your water balance. A good place to start would be to click on the link in my signature called "FishLore Articles for Beginners". That will give you an idea of why testing is so important to the health and happiness of your fish. Once you get the hang of things, you won't be testing nearly so often.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is this sufficient?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is exactly the kit we recommend.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you! My fish is swimming almost sideways now!!! Can someone tell me what "fasting" is? Thanks again

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank you, thank you, thank you! They didn't have master test kits, so I got them singlely. However they only had Nitrites and Ammonia. I already had pH. My ammonia readings were between 4 and 8 ppm!!! My Nitrites were 0.25 ppm. I did an immediate 50% water change but I am afraid it may be too late for my tiger barbs. They are eating so we will wait and see. I will do SOMe water change tomorrow as well.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
its amazing how enlightening the test kits can be!! you think all is ok, then you test your crystal clear water to find all isnt as well as you'd hoped! good luck.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Get some Amquel Plus (make sure it's the plus kind!) to use as your water conditioner until you get things under control. The Amquel plus will neutralize the ammonia and nitrites but will still allow it to be consumed by your bacteria. This will reduce a lot of stress on your fish. Continue with the water changes as you need to. Don't let ammonia or nitrites get higher than 1.0 while your tank is cycling.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the suggestion. My Ammonia is now 1ppm, and Nitrites are 0 ppm. So everything is OK for now, My fish are doing better

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom