A lil advice, please

REtrop

Greetings Forum,
a lil story here with a request for advice at the end.
My GF and I are both going to be setting up tanks.
she is already cycling here's while mine is conceptual phase.
she's got her hard scape in for a while. has been adding plants in one at a time. hasn't been any problems. she bought a mini sword from a trusted lfs we have used for years. she calls me into the room about an hour after she planted her sword. she is excited she thinks she got a "bonus" shrimp fry with her sword. we find it on the substrate after a lil searching. it zips real fast from one hidey spot to another. luckily right next to the tank front. looking into the tank using a magnifying glass I could almost guarantee that uit wasn't a shrimp fry. movement, behaviour, and visual identification I am 90% positive it is a Scud.

My GF is beside herself right now. now she is ready to scrap her tank. hasn't even gotten all the way up and she is done. I seem to remember that most variations of scud are mostly harmless and can be a fast breeding food supplement to a lot of fish/cleanup crew. everything she has seen says her tank is hosed ... Will eat her future shrimp ... destroy the plants ... ect ect ...

here is the advice asking part of this post. we know we need to get her in line with a containment tank and dipping procedures. but what do we do with current tank situation. we've seen at least one of what I am 90% pos is a scud. should we ignore the situation and continue as planned (with new dipping/containment procedures in place for future additions)? break the tank down and "clean" everything in the tank before restarting the cycle? scrap completely and start over?

I just need some good advice to give my GF a lil peace of mind.

thanks in advance
~Porter

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore and this wonderful hobby

The very best advice I can give is be prepared for lots of various tiny life to show up in a new tank. Most are totally harmless and often come and go quickly. If this tiny scud causes such distress I am afraid there will be more. We have to accept that fact. We are growing a total ecosystem. There will be uninvited life from time to time. If a scud causes this reaction I fear what will happen when detritus worms show up and they will most likely do so at some point

If we break down and restart the cycle each time something shows up we will never get a tank cycled.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore! :happy:

I recently cycled a tank and I’m still struggling to remove brown algae, but it’s fine. Trying to be too controlling of harmless hitchhikers/algae growth disrupts the ecosystem that is the home aquarium.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Scuds!! OMG wait till she gets bladder snails!! Welcome to fishlore!! Plants bring guests . No way around it. Qt tanks are great and I highly recommend them. After initial fish qt anything new for at least 2 weeks. If you’ve got gravel you’ve got scuds .

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Scuds are harmless as no one has said yet. No worries there.

Upvote 0

richiep

Croeso! welcome to fishlore
Don't get stressed its not worth it just enjoy

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I would be happy if scuds showed up in my tank.

Upvote 0

Biz

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I agree with your girlfriend. You're at such an early phase, now would be the time to remove the pest. I would rip apart the tank to get the scud out now. If she doesnt want it, she doesnt want it. There comes a point where the tank is so established you're kinda stuck with the pests you bring in, but you're not at that point yet.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I agree with your girlfriend. You're at such an early phase, now would be the time to remove the pest. I would rip apart the tank to get the scud out now. If she doesnt want it, she doesnt want it. There comes a point where the tank is so established you're kinda stuck with the pests you bring in, but you're not at that point yet.
Well if there’s gravel in the tank don’t volunteer!! Scuds are about this big ...

Upvote 0

REtrop

thanks all ...
I personally would love them in my tank as they are a decent algae cleaner (if I remember ... been 20 yrs since I've had a tank) and supplemental snack machine for my inhabitants ... she just saw a good number of doom and gloomers posting that scuds spell the eventual end of your plants and shrimps ... she got a lil spun is all ... I'm hoping reading the kind advice from knowledgeable hobbyists will make her a lil more comfortable ...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alven
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
  • Question