'a large fish in a small bowl'

• Thread starter HeyG
  • Start date

HeyG

I am looking to get some feed back / opinions on my situation of 'a large fish in a small bowl'.
I have a 30 gallon, long, freshwater aquarium; which I have had for some, 30 plus, years. The filtration of this tank is a Marineland, Emperor 400 Bio-Wheel [hang on tank] filter; using Marineland, Rite Size E, filter pads, Bio Pebbles in one of the secondary, slots and a Poly Bio Marine, Poly Filter in the other secondary, slot. I use (2) Ehiem, SkI'm 350, surface skimmers, one in each rear, corner of the tank. I somewhat, regularly, run a Diatom, D-1, diatomaceous earth, maintenance, filter on the tank. There is not an undergravel filter in the tank.
The only, fish that I have in this tank is a Black Shark - [Labeo chrysophekadion], which is, at least, approximately, 30 years old, and is currently, approximately, a foot long, and is definitely, not skinny. I currently, use an automatic, feeder on the tank, and the fish receives a daily, diet of (10) TetraMin, Tropical Tablets. I had never found any other sinking tabs that the fish took to, or that left the tank less, dirty. This fish has been increasingly, creating more waste over the years, creating an increasingly, heavier load on the mechanical, filtration. The biological, load, surprisingly, appears to have been able to handle the increases in the load on the system over the years.
My dilemma is that I would like to be able to not have to maintain the mechanical, filtration so, frequently, or find a simple, easy, way to change / replace / maintain the mechanical, and ideally, also, the surface skimming. This would allow someone, (who is not familiar with my current process / steps of replacement of the Marineland, Rite Size E, filter pads [shake out the loose carbon chips, remove the loose, carbon chips that cling to the foam / felt of the pads - rinse the carbon dust from the pads while rubbing dust from the back, plastic, side of the pads, pullig out the filthy / saturated pads without creating a wet, mess, then, the easy, process of inserting the rinsed, fresh, pads], and my current process / steps to clean the Ehiem, SkI'm 350, surface skimmers' foam blocks [reach into tank, remove the floating, inlet, insert my thumb into hood and very, carefully, (as to not loosen the suction cups holding skimmer to the tank's glass), pry forward, removing the hood and the sponge together as a unit, rinse the foam blocks clean and re-install].
Currently, I must, it is necessary, to maintain the filtration every, two days. I have not contacted an aquarium store to inquire if I could find it a new, home; I can imagine there very, possibly, could be quite a thrashing attempting to capture the fish. I just, do not want to go through the hassle of researching for a new, home, capture and transport, but I would like more days of freedom to not have to be around to baby sit the aquarium.
Any thoughts on a filtration system with a much, lager capacity, that would allow significantly, more days between maintenance?

20151021_155252.jpg

TWiG87

Well Known
The simple, easy answer, is a canister filter. For example,‘if you were to put an EheI'm 2217 on your tank you would increase
Your maintenance interval exponentially. The larger media capacity and higher flow rate would definitely improve water
Conditions.
It’s admirable that you have kept your shark for so many years. That is a beautiful fish. Based off of your post it seems like he is happy
And healthy, but I think a larger filter would help tremendously

noobscaper

Honestly, please, I beg you to rehome him/her. The shark is extremely stunted, at 1/3 of its maximum size, and suffering, just because you want to keep it. Please, if you can't afford a nice big tank (I would say at least 125 gallons - you can find one on Craigslist for cheap) just rehome it.

HeyG

bobbyta74 said:
Honestly, please, I beg you to rehome him/her. The shark is extremely stunted, at 1/3 of its maximum size, and suffering, just because you want to keep it. Please, if you can't afford a nice big tank (I would say at least 125 gallons - you can find one on Craigslist for cheap) just rehome it.
Thank you very, much for your response. . I wish that it were that easy to re-home the shark. I am not able to upgrade to a larger tank; a 125 gal tank is just, not possible. . I wish that I had been aware, at the time I initially, got the shark, that it would grow to the size that it has.

TWiG87 said:
The simple, easy answer, is a canister filter. For example,‘if you were to put an EheI'm 2217 on your tank you would increase
Your maintenance interval exponentially. The larger media capacity and higher flow rate would definitely improve water
Conditions.
It’s admirable that you have kept your shark for so many years. That is a beautiful fish. Based off of your post it seems like he is happy
And healthy, but I think a larger filter would help tremendously
Thank you very, much for your response. . I will be checking into the canister filter that you mentioned.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Look into an Aquaclear 110 filter. It is a hang-on-back style filter like your Emperor.

It comes with a huge block of foam sponge, a bag of carbon and a bag of their bio-media.

If you went this route, honestly I would put aside the carbon and bag of bio-media and place a 2nd Aquaclear foam sponge block on top of the first. Replace sponge blocks can be found on sale online for $3. New Aquaclear 110's can be found online generally between $64 and $79.

The foam sponge blocks will hold and trap a tremendous amount of muck, versus the cartridges you are using.

To make cleaning easier, use the 2 foam sponge blocks and rotate their cleaning every week or two. For example, you can take out the media basket and remove the bottom block for cleaning and place the top block on the bottom. After the first block is cleaned, place it back on top and put the basket back in the filter.

Foam sponge blocks will also colonize a tremendous amount of beneficial bacteria as well.

Here is a link to the pics on the forum of my AC110. Currently don't keep the AC110 loaded with the same media as in the pics, put you can get an idea of how large the media basket is and how large 2x foam blocks will be for filtration.

HeyG

Islandvic said:
Look into an Aquaclear 110 filter. It is a hang-on-back style filter like your Emperor.

It comes with a huge block of foam sponge, a bag of carbon and a bag of their bio-media.

If you went this route, honestly I would put aside the carbon and bag of bio-media and place a 2nd Aquaclear foam sponge block on top of the first. Replace sponge blocks can be found on sale online for $3. New Aquaclear 110's can be found online generally between $64 and $79.

The foam sponge blocks will hold and trap a tremendous amount of muck, versus the cartridges you are using.

To make cleaning easier, use the 2 foam sponge blocks and rotate their cleaning every week or two. For example, you can take out the media basket and remove the bottom block for cleaning and place the top block on the bottom. After the first block is cleaned, place it back on top and put the basket back in the filter.

Foam sponge blocks will also colonize a tremendous amount of beneficial bacteria as well.

Here is a link to the pics on the forum of my AC110. Currently don't keep the AC110 loaded with the same media as in the pics, put you can get an idea of how large the media basket is and how large 2x foam blocks will be for filtration.
Thank you, very, much. I will check that out.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Another option (and less expensive) would be a large sponge filter with coarse foam, such as an ATI Hydro Sponge IV or a size large sponge filter from Aquarium Co-Op website. You can attach a power head on top, like a Marineland Maxi-Jet 900. They are around $8 on Amazon. I think the ATI HS-IV's are about $8-$10 and the Aquarium Co-Op Large sponge filters are around $10.

A sponge filter with coarse foam will flow a lot of water though it without clogging, yet will trap tons of muck. The power head on top can direct water back down to the other side of your long tank, providing additional circulation.

With a sponge filter/power head set up like this, you can easily take it out of the tank, swish it around in a bucket of tank water and place it back in the tank for a quick cleaning.

It would also trap a lot of the muck your Emperor 400 would have been sucking in, increasing the time between servicing the 400.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Wow, 30 years! I can only hope my fish to live as long.

I second the canister. They excel at mechanical filtration. Eheims and Sunsuns are what I use. I haven't done maintenance in one of them in over a year :eek: In your case, the already mentioned Eheim 2217 (600) is the size I'd recommend. Any canister that turns over at least 5x the volume of your tank should be enough.

Top Bottom