Question A hypothetical question about Red Tailed Shark minimum tank sizes

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, so I love the red tailed sharks at my LFS, just because their simply gorgeous (they occasionally have nearly full sized ones, I just love them). However, I don’t have any tanks set up that are remotely close to the size required, so they’re not in the books for me... but I’ve been wondering about something:
The minimum tank size listed on all the sites (included this one) is usually 50-55 gallons... these fish hang out in the mid to bottom, and are from Thailand, from similar kinds of waterways as bettas (shallow, but long/wide), so longer/wider is better in a tank too - is this correct? Assuming that is correct, lots of 50/55s I see are very tall and thin with hardly any floor space. In that case, wouldn’t something like a 40b with more floor space be preferred? Even though it’s less gallons overall? (The tanks I mention are just examples to make my question more clear)

Again, I’m just curious and wanted to know your thoughts on this :)

CichlidFreak7000

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not an expert, but if all the information you have is correct, you may be right. Although I'm sure if you actually kept one in there it would need very frequent cleanings.

NickGNz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have one in my 55 with MalawI cichlids. He isn’t fully grow but gets around the entire tank at all levels. I would certainly say the more swimming room the better.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CichlidFreak7000 said:
I'm not an expert, but if all the information you have is correct, you may be right. Although I'm sure if you actually kept one in there it would need very frequent cleanings.
Have you ever kept one? I haven’t, hence my question based on the information lol

NickGNz said:
I have one in my 55 with MalawI cichlids. He isn’t fully grow but gets around the entire tank at all levels. I would certainly say the more swimming room the better.
Fair enough - out of curiosity - does he spend most of his time at the bottom or swimming around? (It cause they’re always listed as bottom/mid dwellers)

NickGNz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Have you ever kept one? I haven’t, hence my question based on the information lol

Fair enough - out of curiosity - does he spend most of his time at the bottom or swimming around? (It cause they’re always listed as bottom/mid dwellers)
All over. He just does his own thing but gets all around the tank, all water levels. He will come up with the Cichilds at feeding time.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NickGNz said:
All over. He just does his own thing but gets all around the tank, all water levels. He will come up with the Cichilds at feeding time.
Huh. So between a 55 with little floor space, and a 40b, you’d go with the 55?

NickGNz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Huh. So between a 55 with little floor space, and a 40b, you’d go with the 55?
No I’d go with the 40 with more floor space.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NickGNz said:
No I’d go with the 40 with more floor space.
Oh okay! Why, exactly?

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
NickGNz said:
More swimming space, they can be a bit aggressive
Fair enough, probably more room to turn around too for the big ones! :hilarious:

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mine was to aggressive for my star sapphire cichlids in my 5ft so I've had to move him out. he was picking on my small females.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
qldmick said:
mine was to aggressive for my star sapphire cichlids in my 5ft so I've had to move him out. he was picking on my small females.
Did that have to do with the tank size? What’d you move him into?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CichlidFreak7000 said:
My personal opinion: Any fish that is over 24 inches should be kept in a 250 gallon tank. Okay, real opinion: A 55 gallon at least.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
Okay, so I love the red tailed sharks at my LFS, just because their simply gorgeous (they occasionally have nearly full sized ones, I just love them). However, I don’t have any tanks set up that are remotely close to the size required, so they’re not in the books for me... but I’ve been wondering about something:
The minimum tank size listed on all the sites (included this one) is usually 50-55 gallons... these fish hang out in the mid to bottom, and are from Thailand, from similar kinds of waterways as bettas (shallow, but long/wide), so longer/wider is better in a tank too - is this correct? Assuming that is correct, lots of 50/55s I see are very tall and thin with hardly any floor space. In that case, wouldn’t something like a 40b with more floor space be preferred? Even though it’s less gallons overall? (The tanks I mention are just examples to make my question more clear)

Again, I’m just curious and wanted to know your thoughts on this :)
Theoretically, you are correct, you could technically put a red tail shark in a 33 long even so but a 48x12 tank has its advantages over a 36x18. Being longer gives the advantage of other fish getting away from an aggressor and it, in my opinion, separates territories that fish make better than a 40b since longer mean it can't get surrounded by aggressors as easily. But then the extra floor space a 40b has evens it out a bit.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like this site. They quote length and width not gallons.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Theoretically, you are correct, you could technically put a red tail shark in a 33 long even so but a 48x12 tank has its advantages over a 36x18. Being longer gives the advantage of other fish getting away from an aggressor and it, in my opinion, separates territories that fish make better than a 40b since longer mean it can't get surrounded by aggressors as easily. But then the extra floor space a 40b has evens it out a bit.
So in your estimation, longer is preferable to wider? Regardless of gallons (and height?)?

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why not just go full bite and get a 360g with dual corner matten filters and a 100 gallon sump? :happy:

I think I had one once but my "angel" fish didn't like him. But space wise, he seemed fine in my 60 gallon(3 inches taller than a 55g)

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kdizzle said:
My personal opinion: Any fish that is over 24 inches should be kept in a 250 gallon tank. Okay, real opinion: A 55 gallon at least.
The red tailed shark only gets like 4-6 inches?
but you’re saying gallons are more important than dimensions then?

david1978 said:
I like this site. They quote length and width not gallons.

Epalzeorhynchos bicolor – Red-Tailed Black Shark (Labeo bicolor)
that is a nice resource!

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kdizzle said:
So, you are saying that you can keep at least 5 in the 250 then?

New Threads