A Huge Garter Snake

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK OK, I can understand not liking snakes. But, however, if you say you don't mind spiders...you can just go ahead and leave, cause we people of Fishlore don't like superhumans that aren't afraid of anything.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I catch all the spiders at work and put them in the basement so they won’t die. I like spiders. I’d love to have a tarantula, except it would come with a divorce.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok no fan of spiders but I don’t kill them. They have a purpose and I too leave them alone. When there hanging from the ceiling I bring them down to the basement. With the spiders I never see bugs in my house. As for snakes yes I’ve owned some. Lost a Mexican garter snake in my basement yrs ago. Never told anyone.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We used to have "snake races" when we were kids... find our prospective garter snake, line up 8 foot 2x4's so they stayed in their own lanes... and first across the finish line was the winner! :emoji_trophy: That's when kids had real fun!

Fishy Gomez

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Beautiful snake. I’ve seen garter snakes on our farm that were probably 18” long, but I’ve never seen one so beautifully marked.

We like snakes a lot. A tank is not just for fish! We used to have a Honduran milk snake named Gomez - a tangerine phase with deep, beautiful scarlet and black stripes. A calm, gentle snake who seemed to enjoy being handled, though (apparently) covered with salmonella. He was eight feet long when we donated him to the local zoo. Then we got fish and named our first clown loach Fishy Gomez, after the snake.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry ahead of time, but I love spiders. They eat other nasty pests. That's not saying I want one in my bed,lol. Just that they have a great purpose. Along with snakes and bats, who eat mosquitoes!

Pisces37

Reaction score
I catch all the spiders at work and put them in the basement so they won’t die. I like spiders. I’d love to have a tarantula, except it would come with a divorce.
Cool, I love spiders and sorry, I love snakes, too. Just not venomous ones, though.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Such a beautiful snake!! It would be cool if snakes were around here, as it stands people have panic attacks if a pet corn snake is seen on the loose....
I've always kinda liked spiders too.... I guess I'll show myself out!

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Big gorgeous female. The females are particularly snappy I've noticed. Males are smaller and *slightly* better tempered. My sister caught one that big a few years ago, beautiful snake once it quite trying to bite us.

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snakes, one of my big loves besides fish! I do not own any, as I still live with my parents and they have a strict no reptiles rule. Oh well, someday!

Like @2211Nighthawk said, it's likely a female. I believe female snakes are always bigger than males. (There may be a few obscure exceptions.) The good news for those afraid of snakes is that unless you step on one or otherwise intentionally agitate it, they won't hurt you. You're a giant predator to them, and biting you leaves them vulnerable. So if you see one, just leave it be and you'll be just fine. Plus they help control rodent populations.

As for spiders, I'm not a big fan of them but I respect their importance. I always catch them and relocate them outside. I'm still a soft heart though, I almost cried the other week because I squished one when trying to catch it. The only creatures I feel no remorse killing are ticks, mosquitos, and house centipeds.

MileyMorkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AWWWW He's such a cute garter snake! Seen one once at my uncle's cabin out at Sylvan lake. I heard they one of the few species of snakes that can eat fish. Jumping spiders and Peacock spiders are cute but anything else, I'll be on the ceiling screaming.
An insect of note that is super cute are Skippers and Skipperlings. They are a superfamily of insect, it has features of moths but is generally classified as a butterfly because they are diurnal.
My aunt is afraid of caterpillars, no joke. She's fine with every single bug/insect but caterpillars!

Ipman37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Snakes, one of my big loves besides fish! I do not own any, as I still live with my parents and they have a strict no reptiles rule. Oh well, someday!

Like @2211Nighthawk said, it's likely a female. I believe female snakes are always bigger than males. (There may be a few obscure exceptions.) The good news for those afraid of snakes is that unless you step on one or otherwise intentionally agitate it, they won't hurt you. You're a giant predator to them, and biting you leaves them vulnerable. So if you see one, just leave it be and you'll be just fine. Plus they help control rodent populations.

As for spiders, I'm not a big fan of them but I respect their importance. I always catch them and relocate them outside. I'm still a soft heart though, I almost cried the other week because I squished one when trying to catch it. The only creatures I feel no remorse killing are ticks, mosquitos, and house centipeds.
Your right on the females being larger then males the word for it is sexual Dimorphism which is common in most snakes especially Garter snakes and no they are not venomous but there are some minors cases of people being bitten and they got staph infections because they don’t think to clean but most non venomous snakes be the potential of spreading bad infections and house centipedes Are amazing ???

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
and .... spiders taste like shrimp! What's not to like?
I'm certainly not going to do a taste test!

Such a beautiful snake!! It would be cool if snakes were around here, as it stands people have panic attacks if a pet corn snake is seen on the loose....
I've always kinda liked spiders too.... I guess I'll show myself out!
Corn snakes are beautiful!

OK OK, I can understand not liking snakes. But, however, if you say you don't mind spiders...you can just go ahead and leave, cause we people of Fishlore don't like superhumans that aren't afraid of anything.
If we all leave, who you gonna talk to lol!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know they say we eat at least 10 spiders in our sleep in our life time and there’s at least 1 in every car. Happy dreams

SaraCooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My daughter lives just outside of Richmond Va.and she has a problem with copperheads if fact one bit her dog 2 weeks ago.
Copperheads prefer to eat locust. I’m sorry her dog was bitten, although snakes tend to strike when they feel threatened, and dogs are pretty nosy. So just tell your daughter that she may want to contact the local herpetology group- If she sees the snakes, most groups have somebody who will come out and re-locate snakes for free

Madison Lawson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is an absolutely beautiful garter! I would keep a few, but my father would never visit lol. She is so large, too. What a great find!

Kwig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll bet you that is a momma. It's about that time of year! Garters give live birth and are one of the few snakes that can live communally. They eat worms, amphibians, and rodents. Great snake to have in your yard!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom