A Huge Garter Snake

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't come across them this big usually and this one had attitude!
snake lr.jpg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never seen one that big, crazy
The photo was taken from the top as this snake kept trying to strike the camera. I took a quick shot and left him alone, I don't like to distress anything.

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw one once that I had to move off the path by letting it strike at and grab onto a sweatshirt sleeve. They can have some serious attitude.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wish you had put you foot in the picture for size reference...but that would be a little stressful for both parties, wouldn't it?
If you look in the top left corner of the picture there is a blade of grass to use as a reference as to the size of it ( just joking around) that is a great picture and a beautiful snake!!

Letsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My daughter lives just outside of Richmond Va.and she has a problem with copperheads if fact one bit her dog 2 weeks ago.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really don’t like snakes, (glad we only have one slightly venomous one here) but that snake is very pretty

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am totally with you on that... I really really don't like snakes!! We have so many around here too, with a pond and a grass meadow coming almost up to our house.... I always find a couple every spring when I am cleaning out my flower beds!!

Fishcat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Towards the fall when there’s less sun and heat, the ones around here don’t like to give up their basking spots. You can pretty much step over them and they won’t move.
I wonder if it’s too early in the year for a garter snake to be noticeably gravid? That one is certainly distinctly chunky-looking.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The snakes length and width were incredible. Compared to the garters I see around my garden this was a monster snake! No fibbing!

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Love garter snakes! We have some that winter under our concrete back steps and yes some are huge! I like them and their spiffy attitudes lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom