A good stocking plan?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so I have a 26g bowfront, has an oversized HOB filter(aquaclear70). Anyways my stocking plans were:
5 gold barbs(have 2 for startup now)
1 clown pleco
1 red tailed shark(wife likes em)
3 dwarf guoramis

Wanted opinions on whether they oughta get along and if it'd be way overstocked. Clown pleco should be small for a pleco. Also should order matter? Like the shark last?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The red tail shark fish profile states this, "These fish can be hostile and are not recommended for community fish tanks with smaller tropical fish. They seem to behave when kept with larger fish."

I have personally never had a red tail shark so I cannot elaborate further than that, so I will let someone else take that one.

Dwarf Gouramis can become territorial in a smaller tank and I've read posts that say they have been territorial. I was thinking about getting one for my tank, but I think I am going to get a different centerpiece fish because I've also read that they can get diseased easily. Once again, I haven't had one of the DG before so I will let someone who has kept two or three in the same tank tell you more.

By the way, Welcome to Fishlore!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the site! Your filtration is great!

Multiple dwarf gouramis are a no-no, especially in a tank that small. They will undoubtedly fight.

The clown pleco is good, but requires driftwood.

The RTS is too big for the tank.

Gold barbs are a good choice, and I would suggest a few more than 5.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks for the responses and welcomes, I was thinking the RTS might be too big, but wasnt sure. Had no idea the dwarves would get territorial, thought they were peaceful types. guess I'll be stuck with just barbs and pleco? Would dwarf rainbows work? I know angels are out with the barbs. any Ideas? thought if Im limited to barbs a small school of cherries and a school of gold would look nice.

p.s. I put 2 pieces of wood in for the pleco :)

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gold and cherry barbs are fabulous fish. I don't see an issue with them and an angel. Dwarf neon rainbows are also a great choice.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe Ill get a lone angel, thats what I originally wanted for the tank. So maybe a few gold barbs, an angel, the clown, and thatd probably max my tank wouldnt it? If not Id love to get a few Cherries also. Think they'd fit?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To be honest, in a 26 you could do one or the other. i would do cherries because they stay small. they are much better looking and more intersting in larger groups, like all barbs.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
just wanted to throw out an idea.....i know you were looking into a dwarf gourami..then decided no. what about a honey gourami? just one.....they are pretty, and don't get large. i think they are peaceful in a community setting. *think*. i am planning on getting one. PLUS, they are dwarf, BUT they don't get the disease the others get. just wanted to suggest

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought both groups would prolly be too much. I've already got two golds and really like them, I'll look into a Honey, don't think I've seen any for sale but there's a nice FS near me that I think would order for me. Keep wishing my tank was bigger. I guess everyone does!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honey gouramis do not have the aggressive nature that the regular DGs have, IME. they are a different species.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, so I have a 26g bowfront, has an oversized HOB filter(aquaclear70). Anyways my stocking plans were:
5 gold barbs(have 2 for startup now)
1 clown pleco
1 red tailed shark(wife likes em)
3 dwarf guoramis

Wanted opinions on whether they oughta get along and if it'd be way overstocked. Clown pleco should be small for a pleco. Also should order matter? Like the shark last?
Gold and cherry barbs would be excellent choices for that aquarium.
The clown pleco should be fine in that tank, although if you're looking for an algae eater, it's not going to do a very good job of that. They tend to be more territorial, and like to be fed near their piece of driftwood (and they do need driftwood).
I would consider five gold barbs and the clown pleco to be over 2/3 stocked for that tank. Add a few cherry barbs or maybe one dwarf gourami and you'll be good to go.

I would not add any angels if you are planning on having the barbs and the pleco. For one thing, the barbs could very well be problematic. Gold barbs can be very nippy and violent. For another, that's really pushing it on both bioload and swimming space. Barbs are very active fish, and the angels may decide that there's too much activity for such a small tank and start picking on the barbs. Not saying it won't work, just saying that I wouldn't do it, it's too much of a risk, in my opinion.

If you decide that you want angels, it would be a good idea to leave the pleco out. Between the two species, you'd have a huge bioload.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's good to know about the Honey not being aggressive, I feel like maybe the barbs and 1 guorami is probably my best plan(along with the pleco). then I guess I'd just have like 6 or 7 gold barbs. I feel like even with just the barbs once everyone was grown it'd be too much with two schools. I can't get like 2 or 3 cherries and let them swim with the golds instead of having a whole separate school can I?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd been meaning to see if golds and cherries will school together, but I never got around to it. It seems that they are close enough that they might actually do so. I'm not going to suggest that you experiment, but I will say that experimenting like that is one of the easiest ways we can learn.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
maybe I'll take a shot at it, see how it goes. I'll let you know in a month or two if I do(as the tank isn't nearly done cycling yet). Hopefully I won't end up with a few gold barbs and a couple dead cherry barbs

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess not, I guess I knew that, just will I have a couple lonely cherry barbs. Here's what aqua advisor says(I know it's not a solid guide).
666.jpg

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn[t know the tank was so short.... I think gold barbs will get too big. Also, you'd be better off keeping a full school of one fish rather than 2 half schools.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's the numbers that AqAdvisor gave it, the numbers on the box are actually 24"x15"x21" You think the 2.75" gold barbs are too big? And you're probably right about the full schools being happier than 2 half schools, I'm just curious how they'd do. Like I said I've still got a month or more to really solidify my plans. Is 24" super short? Thats as wide as my 50G pentagon.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had gold barbs in a 2' tank, and they've done fine.
Also, as I said earlier, I would suggest either doing a few cherry barbs (if you wanted to see if they would school together) or the dwarf gourami, not both.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom