A Good Size Tank For A Bn Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Mazeus, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hello

I have fallen in love with the BN pleco. Currently I do not have a tank that could house a BN. I would like to start planning and saving for an appropriate tank. I have a small house, so there are some constraints on size. BN owners, what size tank would a BN be more than confortable in?

Thanks.

2. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffy Valued Member Member

I would say the minimum would be a 20g but I would lean more towards a 30/29g being better.

3. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

At least a 2 feet wide tank with good hiding spaces for the BN Pleco. BN pleco as I am sure you know grows to about 6" and will need space to move around. With that said, i have seen folks have BN in a 10g tank which I think is really really pushing it given the size of what BN gets to.

I agree, it is a lovely fish and my fav in my 75g tank. It requires a little bit additional care with feeding in the night for it but a pleasure to have.

4. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

I could definitely do a 30g-40g tank. I wouldn't have room for much bigger though. Would a BN be happy in a 30g?

5. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

Depends on how big I guess. A full-grown six inch should have maybe around a 30 gallon at least, but juveniles can be done in a 10.

6. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

I would never put one in a 10g. I have a 15g now which I consider way too small. They need room to creep and explore.

7. T

Tesla Valued Member Member

30g tank are usually 3ft wide, that is a good footprint for a BN Pleco. Again I would repeat and remind to give it good spaces to hide during the day. There would be days when you would not see it at all :)

8. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Thanks for the advice. I know they like caves and nooks under driftwood. I know I won't see the fish much but they are so darn cute! This tank is likely months away. I have to work on my other half and convince them that we definitely need another tank :)

9. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I had a small one in a 10G with a small common goldfish for about 6 months. He is now in a 29G with 16 tropical fish. He is now about 4" long. Have another one in a 55G with 4 fantail goldfish. They were bought at the same time and look about the same now. I didn't realize how wide they got! Sometimes he startles me when he crawls out of something.

10. OP
    OP
    Mazeus

Good to know. I would keep other tropical fish with the pleco, but definitely will be planning the tank around the pleco.

11. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

They are sweet fish...at least mine are. They never bother anybody and sometimes just come out to eat with everyone else.

12. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

30 gallons is the minimum.

13. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Mine are young currently, but they are out and about during the day a lot. If you have room for a 29 or 40 breeder, that should be fine :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice