A Good Night's Sleep

cooneyms

Does anyone do anything in particular to ensure that their fish get proper rest at night?

One of my betta tanks is in my livingroom, where my boyfriend and I are often awake and watching shows or playing video games well past lights-out time for my fish. If I get up earlier than normal for work, the betta wakes up with me since I turn a small light on and start moving around. I'm wondering if he's getting enough shut-down time at night. If my boyfriend doesn't get to bed til 1am, and I'm up at 5am, then total darkness and silence in the room might only be 4 hours for my betta. Sometimes less depending.

As long as a light is on in the room or there's movement, my betta is moving around and awake. Maybe I should cover his tank with a sheet after I turn the tank lights off.

Does anyone else worry about this stuff?

Sent from my SM-J320P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

LotusPond

I keep my puffer's light on all day, and there is constantly noise because of a radio. I put some plants in the darkest corner near the heater where he usually chills to make it a little darker, and he seems to rest fine.

TexasDomer

I wouldn't leave the tank light on for 24 hours (that's definitely not natural, and fish need dark too!), but I don't think you need to worry about him not getting enough rest.

Jsigmo

Where I work we have a number of aquariums. Since the plant can run at any time of day or night, I wonder about this, too.

But I will say that I've seen no problems caused by their odd light/dark schedule.

Then again, they can't complain, and I'm not sure I'd recognize the symptoms if this was bad for them!

I'd guess that having a routine light cycle would be the best for them. But on the other hand, I haven't noticed any irritability or crankiness in our fish or crayfish.

cooneyms

Thanks guys, that gives me some peace of mind haha. I'm not sure I'd recognize the symptoms if my fish weren't properly rested either!

My betta has big heavy fins that are prone to getting tattered, especially his pectorals because he's an elephant ear. I was thinking if he had more reliable hours of darkness when he'd naturally stop moving, it might help his fins heal and prevent further tattering. He nibbles his fins very rarely, but what little he does do might be prevented by being better rested. If lights in the room are on, my betta is swimming and active. The poor guy works hard to get around and I don't want him straining himself all night too.

So before I went to bed last night at 10pm, I decided to drape a blanket over my betta's tank. My boyfriend still had the room lights and tv on for a few hours after. I was up early at 5am this morning and I went about my business as usual. When I uncovered the tank at 6am, my betta was indeed resting! I can't say for sure if he had been resting the whole night of course, but I suspect it helped.

I'll try it for the rest of the week and see if there's any difference in his fins' condition or any changes in his usual behavior. Putting a blanket on the tank doesn't take any effort on my part, so why not?

LotusPond

I wouldn't leave the tank light on for 24 hours (that's definitely not natural, and fish need dark too!), but I don't think you need to worry about him not getting enough rest.
Not a full 24 hours, lol. More like from just after sunrise to an hour after sunset. I don't need a giant algae outbrack

cooneyms

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: tank lights go off at 8pm. I covered the tank with the blanket at 10pm to block room light. Tonight I'll cover the tank right after I shut the lights off.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
swtmudpie
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
Replies
Views
FishNinja
Replies