A fun way to keep shrimp

otterblue

Hi. I did something that I've found very enjoyable: When I added shrimp to my tank I got all neocaridina davidi (a total of 5 so far) but I only got 1 of each color (1 red, 1 blue, etc.).

I've found it very interesting that way because I can identify (and name) the individuals. I've found it more interesting when you watch them since you can note behaviors and locations of individuals.

I don't mind if the offspring are brown - I doubt any shrimplets will be uneaten by the fish.

mattgirl

I started my shrimp bowl with 10 shrimp of various colors. (red, blue, orange, yellow) I agree, it was fun seeing the different colors. I didn't name mine but I really enjoy watching them.

I now have way more in this bowl than I should have since there is nothing in there to eat the babies. The only color that has stayed true to color was the deep blue one. I am constantly seeing blue babies in the bowl. I still see red babies from time to time too. Never see orange or yellow.

StarGirl

I have had all different colors too. For whatever reason, maybe my hard water?, they have never had any babies. Not one berried female. :( But yes I enjoy the different colors also.

mattgirl

I have had all different colors too. For whatever reason, maybe my hard water?, they have never had any babies. Not one berried female. :( But yes I enjoy the different colors also.
I just gave you a sad because your shrimp aren't reproducing. I remember how excited I was when I saw my first berried female. I don't know if this is a good idea and I am sure richiep will correct me if I'm wrong. If their home is small enough so it wouldn't break the bank maybe you could mix tap and distilled to soften up the water for them.
Hi. I did something that I've found very enjoyable: When I added shrimp to my tank I got all neocaridina davidi (a total of 5 so far) but I only got 1 of each color (1 red, 1 blue, etc.).

I've found it very interesting that way because I can identify (and name) the individuals. I've found it more interesting when you watch them since you can note behaviors and locations of individuals.

I don't mind if the offspring are brown - I doubt any shrimplets will be uneaten by the fish.
Looking forward to reports of berried females. Hopefully some shrimplets will hide good enough not to be eaten. It is fascinating watching them shuffle the eggs.

richiep

Yes you certainly can mix the water to get it right

StarGirl

Yes you certainly can mix the water to get it right
Yeah I could but I only have 2 left so I probably won't restock any right now. I have Chilis and Badis in there Im good with that! :)

richiep

Yeah I could but I only have 2 left so I probably won't restock any right now. I have Chilis and Badis in there Im good with that! :)
When your ready we can get it right for you to have a successful colony

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views
redmare
Replies
Views
kansas