A friend and his fish.

Franky_Bones
So I have a friend who has a fish. And decided to give it to me because he knows I love fish. I am completely broke and don't have money to get a new tank and was wondering if a Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy can live peacefully with my Dwarf Gourami. I am scared to even think about putting him in my 30 gallon cause I know he will get messed up by the other fishies. Also sometimes do LFS take homeless fish?

Shawnie
are you overstocked already? if not, they should be fine ...

Franky_Bones
Its in my 15 gallon that I would put him in. He is real pretty but got his tail fin busted up real bad by some fish in his old tank.

MissMTS
He would be fine in the 15 gallon with the dwarf gourami. Congrats on your new fishie! For future reference, LFS usually will take fish off of your hands as long as they are in good condition.

Shawnie
well you might be taking a chance with just a 15 gallon..gourami's can be territorial...just have a back up plan if it doesn't work..and as far as his fins, some garlic guard or small pieces of fresh garlic, vita chem, and fish protector can help...goodluck

Alessa
I had the same situation and I never had a problem.. but again, fishes have personalities like us and one can be different from the other. give it a try, I don't really think that there will be a problem but keep your eyes open in case there is trouble.

jdhef
well you might be taking a chance with just a 15 gallon..gourami's can be territorial...just have a back up plan if it doesn't work..and as far as his fins, some garlic guard or small pieces of fresh garlic, vita chem, and fish protector can help...goodluck

Shawnie

How is fresh garlic used in the tank? (I saw reference to this somewhere else also). Do you just throw a clove in? Or do you mince it? Do the fish eat it?

John

Shawnie
HI john...You get the garlic that's in a jar with juice n all..not the kind you got to mince up..then cut up pieces to fit in the mouths of the fish you are feeding...I give some to all my fish once a week...and I have oscars, who I don't bother cutting it up, to convict fry, who I cut up so tiny.....they all love it it

Franky_Bones
Whats in garlic that's so good for fishies?

jdhef
Shawnie

Thanks for the info. I may just have to try a little garlic in my tank.

Shawnie
garlic has antioxidants and helps prevent disease's....its like a natural healer.whenever us kids started getting colds, my gram always gave us some extra garlic in our foods...she swore it was an alltime natural healer...

I never thought about our animals but after joining here, and hearing so many recommend it for fish, I started giving it to all my tanks and I even put it in my dogs food once a week

MrsM3197
garlic has antioxidants and helps prevent disease's....its like a natural healer.whenever us kids started getting colds, my gram always gave us some extra garlic in our foods...she swore it was an alltime natural healer...

I never thought about our animals but after joining here, and hearing so many recommend it for fish, I started giving it to all my tanks and I even put it in my dogs food once a week

For everybody that keep furrys as well as finnys. If you add a little fresh garlic to your pets food it will help keep fleas, ticks, mosquitos and flies from biting them.

Dark_Rider2k3
really??? That's pretty freaking awesome.

I'll start feeding some to my dog and fish

Shawnie
For everybody that keep furrys as well as finnys. If you add a little fresh garlic to your pets food it will help keep fleas, ticks, mosquitos and flies from biting them.

so very true..and thank god my finnys don't have fleas ;D

Blub
so very true..and thank god my finnys don't have fleas ;D
They have whitespots instead! (DIE DIE DIE ICK INVASION!)

Shawnie
They have whitespots instead! (DIE DIE DIE ICK INVASION!)

ive been very fortunate and never had ich so maybe the garlic scares that away also ? LOL

Franky_Bones
How much garlic do you feed your fish? I have a Platy and a DG and 2 corys in a tank.

MrsM3197
ive been very fortunate and never had ich so maybe the garlic scares that away also ? LOL

Garlic is one of natures best anti-fungals. If you have been using it in your tanks all this time that's probably one good reason why. I sure am glad I saw this mentioned. I would have thought that the stink would have killed 'em. LOL!

Franky_Bones
How much garlic do you feed your fish? I have a Platy and a DG and 2 corys in a tank.

Bump
/\/\/\

COBettaCouple
I add a drop per gallon of garlic guard when giving our fish garlic.

Franky_Bones
I add a drop per gallon of garlic guard when giving our fish garlic.

Cool. Can you buy garlic guard at petsmart?

Shawnie
I haven't been able to find garlic guard in any of our LPS so I use fresh garlic in the jar but you can order it online at dr. fosters

Franky_Bones
I haven't been able to find garlic guard in any of our LPS so I use fresh garlic in the jar but you can order it online at dr. fosters

When you feed them fresh garlic from the jar do you use any sort of measurement?

Shawnie
I cut up small pieces and feed them a piece the size of their eye twice a week

COBettaCouple
I'm not sure, I usually order most of our supplies online. I like to give as little business as I can to the chain stores.
Cool. Can you buy garlic guard at petsmart?

tzqng8
I'm not sure, I usually order most of our supplies online. I like to give as little business as I can to the chain stores.

While I agree, it is for sale there, at least at their online store. I linked to it above.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whales7
Replies
Views
lycan143
Replies
Views
Slaphammer
Replies
Views