A fishy question

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A fishy question! HELP PLEASE?!?

Ok I finally got my new tank. It's a 20 gallon and I have no idea what to put in the thing when it finishes cycling.

here is what I have that will be put over to the 20 gallon
1 guppy
2 glassy tetras
2 corys

Here is what want to add. I hope someone will help me figure it if will work. I don't want to be putting in to many.
2guppies female a much for my one little guy guppy
4 harlequins
4 black neon tetras
3-6 neons
6 glo lights
3 corys

I prefer to way under stocked than near the limit. I would appreciate anyone that can help me with figure this out.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want to understock, I don't think 5 different schools and 7 different species is the way to do it. Livebearers are also a bad choice for such a tank, unless you just got 2, maybe 3 males.

I'd do 2 male guppies, a school of 8 neons and shrimp. That's it - that's understocked.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like harlequins....I have 7, 5 celestial pearl danios, 1 peppered cory(the others died), 1 honey gourami. and snails. neons are pretty.....but are sensitive....cardinals are also attractive

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think cards are more fragile than neons but I may be getting locally bred ones. I'd do like Jaysee said if you wanna stay understocked. You don't wanna mess with m/f livebearers unless you want to deal with the fry and that's another hobby in itself. I also agree with JerI and the Harlequins, a great schooling fish and look awesome in a planted environment.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As said; your stocking suggestion is well overstocked. I'd keep the amt of fis well below the 35 you have listed in a 20gal. A lot of the combinations will work.... just not all together.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I knew they all didn't work together. These are just the guys I like. I am thinking about what I have and I really need to add the female guppies my boy is driving glass fish nuts trying to spawn with them. I know the fry well be eaten.

Maybe what I have and 2 guppies a few glow lights and few diamond tetras and a couple more corys. What do you think of that?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then I'd do 2 male guppies, more of the tetras you already have and more of the corys you already have.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The tetras I already have are the dyed ones. So no more. They are glass but you can't find glass ones here that aren't died. They look just like the diamond tetras but clear.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
won't 3 male guppies fight??

I guess a lot depend on what they have around here. We don't have a lot to choose from. Only 2 stores have nice tanks.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you can't add to the glassy school, I'd rehome them and get a full school of another kind of fish. You already know that tetras need to be in a large school so I won't harp on it.

Male guppies may or may not fight, so you can try it and rehome one if it doesn't work out. Not all fry will get eaten. It seems like the more drops a female has, the less interest the other fish have in eating them. For instance, the other day at the LFS, I saw a tank with almost no cover just full of fry of all different ages swimming with the adults, so they clearly weren't afraid.

I would leave the male as a lone guppy and add to the Cory school, rehome the glassies and get a school of either 6 black neons or the cool black harlies you can buy from Harpua.

-Lisa

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kunsthure said:
If you can't add to the glassy school, I'd rehome them and get a full school of another kind of fish. You already know that tetras need to be in a large school so I won't harp on it.

Male guppies may or may not fight, so you can try it and rehome one if it doesn't work out. Not all fry will get eaten. It seems like the more drops a female has, the less interest the other fish have in eating them. For instance, the other day at the LFS, I saw a tank with almost no cover just full of fry of all different ages swimming with the adults, so they clearly weren't afraid.

I would leave the male as a lone guppy and add to the Cory school, rehome the glassies and get a school of either 6 black neons or the cool black harlies you can buy from Harpua.

-Lisa
I agree, Keep the guppy alone add more corys (I'd say total around 5-6) then a school of another type of fish or so.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads