A Few Unimportant Questions

1. Kysarkel000 Member Member

Hello everyone,

I am currently obsessed with fishlore and am constantly on here reading random posts, some of which get me to wonder the how's, What's, and why's of the aquarium worlds. I'm a curious bug and would greatly appreciate any answers. Thanks in advanced!!

1. Hydra
    - is it an algae? Or a creature? I researched and I guess it's related to jellyfish?

- I see posts about a hydra spotting and the tank owner flips out and destroys the tank setup trying to get rid of it. Is hydra dangerous for fish? I personally think it's cute from pictures I've seen.. o.o

2. Decorations
    - I see alot of rocks and driftwood in tanks. How do you know a rock or something in/on the driftwood won't alter the water chemistry in a bad way. Like can't a rock add iron/copper/lead etc.?

- is it okay to just reach your hand into a tank to add/move/remove a decoration? Should you wash your hands first? Should you use special soap? Or like rise with vinager water or something?

3. Water
    - I see everyone using tap water and then having to use ALL these chemicals to counteract the chlorine, chlormamine, and trace metals. I feel like im the only one who uses bottled distilled water. Why?

- the only down side I've found using bottled water is a low pH. What pH do fish like to be at? I have giant danios and plecos.

4. Do fish get bored? I saw a Betts mirror toy and the pet store yesterday and was wondering if other fish would like a mirror and if there were other fish toys? I've heard of goldfish obstical courses, but that's it. What are they anyways?

Thanks again for your help and advise!! You're great for reading this far!!

2. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Hydra is from phylum Cnidaria. Cnidaria also includes anemones and jellyfish. The hydra is a Cnidarian that is always in polyp form. They are able to sting with their nematocysts, but can only kill really tiny fry.

Just rinsing your hands off with warm water will suffice unless you've been messing with something dangerous for fish.

Rocks can be tested with vinegar to see if they are fish safe. Also there are lists online of fish safe driftwoods and rocks.

Distilled water has no minerals. Fish need minerals.

Most common fish will adapt to different PH ranges pretty easily if acclimated properly.

I'd imagine fish can get bored. I usually just give mine plants and new decor and stuff.

3. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Test the rocks with vinegar only tells you if they'll increase your hardness/PH like limestone. Anything else, all you're doing is making the rock wet and smell like vinegar.

4. FIghtingj Member Member

will washing my hands with soap be bad?(e.g. after getting oil on them)

5. Fishpuns Member Member

No, I always wash with soap first to get anything else off. You just need to rinse really well after to make sure you get all the soap residue off as well.

OP:
    1. Hydra can kill small, young, or sick fish. That's why people hate them so much. They do look really cool imo, although I would never want one in my tank lol

2. Most people boil their driftwood and vinegar test their rocks to make sure they are safe, but as long as it comes from a non polluted body of water it should be fish safe.

3. There's not really a lot of chemicals involved in treating tap water. I throw half a cap of Prime into every bucket of water. Distilled water has no minerals in it, which is not good for fish long term.

4. I think fish do get bored. Change up the decor, add new plants, give them ping pong balls to chase and caves to explore. In the wild they have very busy schedules and have likes and dislikes and games and mating to keep them busy. I imagine sitting in a box all day and night would make anyone bored

6. Kysarkel000 Member Member

Thank you all for the answers! They've been very informative. What are some ways I can add minerals into my water then? I like using distilled water cause there's almost no chance bad stuff can get in the tank.