A few questions

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello,

I recently sent a message to LyndaB with a few questions about shrimp, after I learned that she was knowledgeable about them. She helpfully answered many of them, but she suggested I post the questions as a thread so that others could comment. So, here's the message:

I currently have six Ghost Shrimp in a 2.5 gallon planted tank. I was kind of going off of Jeri's "cherry bowl" thread for ideas. Unfortunately I've read that you should only have one shrimp per gallon, otherwise fighting can ensue. Besides feeding time, I've never seen any issues, but before everyone has found their own wafer piece, I've seen one shrimp go after another (who has a piece), doing what sort of looks like nipping/pecking. Should I not be concerned about this?

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to over feed shrimp. Obviously this can be a problem with fish, but it's hard to break an algae wafer into minuscule little pieces. Usually they're only about one square millimeter, but of course they expand in water. I sometimes get worried when I see one eating a piece for too long, and I always take out abandoned pieces so they don't foul the water. Are shrimp better at eating in moderation than fish?

And finally, out of curiosity, I was wondering if you know anything about sexing shrimp (ghost shrimp in particular; I'm not sure if it varies between species or not). None of my shrimp have the characteristic saddle, and I'm wondering if the LFS had the genders in separate tanks and I got all males. In your experience, do females always have a visible saddle? Does it develop with

Lynda said that I have too many shrimp in my tank, which actually fortunately won't be a problem. I wanted to keep some in my 10 gallon with a male betta, so once they start getting big, I'll move the largest ones over. This way, it will most effectively alleviate the overcrowding issue, and I won't have to worry as much about the betta eating them.

Thanks for any answers you can provide! If there is anything else you think a new shrimp owner should know, please don't hesitate to tell me. :)

2. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

ghosties can be nasty with each other....they can even eat one another.. alive! how many are in there? quite a few can fit in a 2.5g....but you could have too many

-j

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

There are six, some are larger than others but all are roughly 0.75" (without actually measuring). Again, once they get bigger I can move a few to the 10 gallon.

Are RCS nicer than ghosts?

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

RCS are much nicer. They are awesome little guys. I love mine! I've got about a million in my 29G, they breed super fast. Ive also never seem them fight with anything.

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Firstly, not that it really matters, but I am a she :)

Also, I originally wanted to get RCS, but I'm a little worried about how much they seem to breed. I could put a few in the 10 gallon and some in the 55, but if they start multiplying exponentially, I'm not sure what I would do.

Edit: I have been feeding bits of algae wafers and removing uneaten portions. I have shrimp pellets, but they contain copper sulfate so I was afraid to feed them.

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

If you're concerned about breeding RCS then buy all females. I had a female only 5g for a year w/ 5 girls. I added a male when I wanted more.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I know it's pretty easy to tell them apart, I think the females are more red while the males are more translucent. If I am buying from a breeder (as they cost $10 each at my LFS!), are they usually flexible with gender requests? It seems they should be, but I would t be surprised if a request of "please give me all the best-colored ones" was frowned upon.

In the event that all my ghosts are male, then I won't have a breeding problem and could move all of them to the 10 gallon (a betta and six shrimp is okay in a 10 gallon, right?) so there wouldn't be aggression, and restock the 2.5 with RCS. How many would comfortably fit?

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You can order from other forum member for MUCH cheaper than $10 each, that's outrageous!! these guys breed so darn fast there is no reason that price! You can pretty much put as many RCS in a tank as you have physical room for.

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

RCS shouldn't be more than $2.50 tops. Heck I just paid .40 cents for ghost shrimp.

11. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I know, it is ridiculous. My ghost shrimps were $0.33 each. I will probably end up buying them from a forum member, the only difficulty is that shipping is like $8, which is almost half the total price of the shrimp! There was an ad posted online for someone near me selling them (pick-up only), but he never replied to my email.

12. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

The RCS shouldn't breed like crazy in your 55gal, the fish you plan would likely eat all the shrimplets and when a angelfish gets bigger it would most likely eat the adults too.

13. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

or you could always sell *your* rcs when you get too many :) i like cherries. ghosties are ok to watch. i have them in a couple of my tanks as food....but before they are eaten, they're kind of amusing. rcs are prettier though. the females are more red, plus much larger than males. adult females are pretty large. but they don't have to be full grown to breed. i have had some in my 4g for quite a while....and either they don't like my tank, or they don't like each other....because my population hasn't grown very much. and they are the only ones in there. except for some snails. who knows!

14. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I read in another thread that you shouldn't keep ghosts with bettas because they can nip at their fins. Does anyone else know about this?

Lexi: True, especially with the angel fish. I guess that would be a good way to keep population levels steady.

Jeri: Do YOU sell RCS? :) Really, I need to find someone in the Chicago area so I can pick them up, because it isn't members' prices that are too high, it's the shipping. Also, I feel as though so many people sell RCS, that I would sell fewer than I would be making. Though, if I fed the fry to my tanks it might not be a problem.

15. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i've heard about the ghosties nipping the bettas....but i personally would have to see it to believe it. sounds kind of far fetched to me.

i would sell or give them away...if i had more. i don't at this time. if i ever do, however, have any...i'll let you know!

16. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm. Maybe it would be better to move them to the 55 gallon then. I'm assuming there wouldn't be any problems between the ghosts and my other bottom feeders, cories and a BN pleco...(right?)

17. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i think most (healthy) fish can get away from any shrimp. of course long finned bettas move more slowly...so that could be a factor. i'd be more worried about a CPO nipping a betta, before ghost shrimp. but i never kept ghosties with bettas, so i can't say what would happen for sure.

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What is a CPO?

Also, I'm assuming the answer is no, but while there is still copious amounts of algae in my tank, should I not feed algae wafers until they finish it off (mostly)? Or does the algae just supplement their diet? I'm afraid my dwarf sag isn't going to do well because it's so covered in algae :(

19. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

a cpo is a dwarf orange crayfish. they are awesome. most shrimp graze on algae, but not enough to clear it. nerite snailss do a better job.

-j

20. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Would a nerite snail be too much of an increase in bioload for the 2.5 gallon? That would be fun to have one in there, I was already planning to get one for the 10 gallon and one or two for the 55 gallon.