A few questions on starting a 10 gallon tank...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by alpaca, Jul 7, 2015.

1. alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

I'm planning to divide a 10 gallon either in half or into three equal parts for 2 or 3 bettas.

-What should I use as substrate/what is easiest to clean?
    -Where should I place the main filter? And should I put some sort of bubbler in each divided section?
    -What is the best filter (make and model) to use for bettas in a 10 gallon?

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Substrate is completely up to you. Some people like gravel, some like sand. Some of us with planted tanks like specialized substrates like EcoComplete, and some use organic potting soil and cap with either sand or gravel.

As for filtration, bettas have a low bioload, so it shouldn't matter too terribly much what you use. Just make sure the flow is not too strong and that each compartment gets filtered thoroughly.

3. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

junebug - Thank you very much. I will keep those things in mind. :)

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Keep in mind whatever filter you get, it should have at least 8-10x GPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I like sponge filters for small tanks especially Betta tanks as they don't have a strong flow, & if you're dividing the tank you can run two or three sponge filters from one air pump

7. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

@Coradee - Thanks for the recommendation. Is the XY-2831 Air Pump Sponge Filter a suitable filter?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  8. Coradee

You can get air pumps with multiple outlets, or you can use a gang valve with a single outlet pump to run more than one sponge filter.
    There are various styles of single sponge filters, have a look on ebay or amazon.

9. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

Okay. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'll figure it out. I'm just going to gradually set up the tank anyway. Thanks for helping, Coradee

10. Coradee

They're very easy to set up, have a look at some next time you go to your Lfs or have a look on YouTube on how to set them up

11. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

Will do.
    I set up a 2.5 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago. And I imagine it's similar-- just on a larger scale and a little more complicated when adding plants and dividers and whatnot that I didn't do for the 2.5.
    I also had 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon for 5+ years. I know they are quite a contrast to bettas in regards to water pH and temperature, filter flow and susceptibility to ailments such as fin rot. But I think I'll be okay. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  12. Coradee

Good luck & don't forget the pics when it's all set up :)

13. OP
    OP
    alpaca

alpaca New Member Member

I definitely will. Although it might be a while, as both my males have fin rot right now. And I know that it's very contagious. I think I'll be leaving my one male in his 2.5 gallon tank. Anyway, I only have 1 out of my 6 betta candidates eligible for the tank right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice