A few questions before I get my tank. Question

1. B

Bentendo New Member Member

Hi! I'm getting my first tank today, so I'm obviously really excited! Anyway, I want to ask a few questions just to be on the safe side!

1. When adding water to the tank, do I add the conditioner before or after I put the water in the tank?
    2. When I do a water change, should I add conditioner? And if so, should I add it before or after I put it in the water?
    3. What should the Nitrate readings be before I add fish.
    4. Also, when doing a fishless cycle using food, how much food should I add each day?
    5. When the fish are in the water, is it dangerous for THEM to put your hands in the water. I didn't know if there's anything dangerous on your hands that might contaminate the water like soap after you wash you hands.
    6. And FINALLY! Does it bother the fish if you move your d├ęcor around?

Thanks a bunch! I don't think I forgot any questions but if I did I'll add them to this thread.

2. DRock914

DRock914 Valued Member Member

I'll try to answer these questions. Some people may have different opinions though...

1. I add it after I put the water in the tank but some people add it to the bucket of water going into the tank.
    2. You should always add your conditioner after a WC. I add for the amount of water that I just put into the tank.
    3. I like my nitrates around 5 or 10 some people like it a little higher but it shouldn't be higher than 20. Also make sure your ammonia and nitrites are 0.
    4. I have no experience with fishless cycles, someone else can help you here.
    5. I don't think it would be dangerous as long as you wash the soap off of your hands but if you use hand sanitizer it might get into the water? I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    6. You can stress the fish by moving stuff around but it shouldn't really bother them.

3. OP
    OP
    B

Thank you so much! That really helped me out. I was mainly concerned with the first couple of questions. Also, on the conditioner bottle does it explain to you how much conditioner you should put in the tank?

4. DRock914

Yea, what are you using for conditioner?

5. OP
    OP
    B

I'm not sure yet :( I was sort of hoping the people at the pet store would help me out. I'm planning on calling the city before I head out to see what's in our tap water. Do you have any suggestions though?

6. DRock914

A lot of people will recommend prime but I don't use it. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Stress Coat and their Chlorine & Chloramine Neutralizer. I know the stress coat does both but I was taught to use both by my dad. I would check with people on here first before listening to your LFS.

7. OP
    OP
    B

"I would check with people on here first before listening to your LFS."

That's probably a good idea! Anyway, thanks for the answers. I'm about to head out to get it in probably thirty minutes!

8. F

Fishnugget43 Valued Member Member

Hello And Welcome!

1. and 2. I also add conditioner after putting water into the tank Because I have a Python Siphon/Gravel Vac/ refill hose (which I HIGHLY recommend getting espeacily if you are getting a larger tank) which connects right to my faucet and pours and sucks water from the tank. It really beats buckets.
    3. Nitrates should be around 5 ppm or up to 10ppm- Amonia and Nitrites need to be at Zero first.
    4. The Amount of food Depends on the size tank you get. Just make sure you dont put too much in because the tank will get really gross. Another method is to put a peice of raw shrimp in a nylon bag i think? and put it in your tank making sure the shrimp is totally in the water. It will decompose and add ammonia... I hear this method is good for the entire cycle with just one shrimp...
    5. If I have just recently washed my hands then i rinse them in warm tap water before i put my hands in my tank. Although I dont think many people would say thats necessary. Besides that though i think its fine to put your hands in.
    6. I havnt really moved ecor around too much but some times a plastic plant will come loose during a water change in which case i have to put them back. it doesnt seem to bother my fish they seem curious and swim nearby and watch what im doing.

Good luck!!

9. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I use Stress Coat but I keep Prime on hand in case I have a mini cycle.
    I've also used jungle's brand as well as others.

10. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks everyone! I have one more question (I think!):

How should I clean my decor? Just run it under tap water? Or is that not a good idea? I just got a huge piece of artificial driftwood from the pet store that is dusty and has cobwebs, and would just like to know what is the best way to clean it.

I really should take a picture of it someday though. It looks stunning! A lot better than most decor that you see at the store, and it looks real!

11. DRock914

Just run it under tap water. If it's really bad you could soak it in a bucket over night but that is probably not necessary.