A few questions about peacock gudgeons

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’m looking into getting peacock gudgeons but there are a few things I need to figure out before I get them.

1. Can they tolerate or even breed in a ph of 8.2?

2. If I provide them with a cave will they dig anywhere else at all?

3. How many can I have in a tank that’s roughly 7 gallons?

4. Do they only take live or frozen foods? Do they take pellets eventually? What frozen foods should I feed them?

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
QCAquaholic said:
I can only answer #4. Mine do eat flakes and Fluval bug bites when they sink. They also eat frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.
Great! I already have frozen bloodworms and I think I can get brine shrimp from my LFS or Petco. One last thing, how often do you feed them bloodworms or brine shrimp?

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cut pieces off of the cubes and mix the bloodworms and brine shrimp together. They get that twice a week.

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
@Gudgie do you have any thoughts on this? I hope you don’t mind me tagging you :)

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
#2 mine dont dig
#4 mine will eat flake and get frozen/live twice to three times a week.

Kerina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also can only answer #4 because my fishes are still in quarantine tank. They eat pellets (bug bites and crushed NLS hex pellets) as well as frozen food. They were eating dry food from the start.

For #3 It would also depend on the footprint of the tank, as these fish seem to be mostly hanging on the bottom. In the stocking recommendations for 10g tank on this forum it says one or two pairs can be kept. What is the footprint of your 7g compared to a standard 10g?

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kerina said:
I also can only answer #4 because my fishes are still in quarantine tank. They eat pellets (bug bites and crushed NLS hex pellets) as well as frozen food. They were eating dry food from the start.

For #3 It would also depend on the footprint of the tank, as these fish seem to be mostly hanging on the bottom. In the stocking recommendations for 10g tank on this forum it says one or two pairs can be kept. What is the footprint of your 7g compared to a standard 10g?
Thanks for the reply! I did end up getting a female from Petco. She does eat pellets readily and I haven’t tried frozen food yet. The footprint is about the same as a 10g since it’s just a divided tank. She’s with a guppy that she seems to really like. Eventually I’ll add a male with her but for now that guppy is really making her feel safe. She never hides and comes out when she sees me since I’ve been feeding her small amounts twice a day to help her regain some health. She looked pretty skinny in Petco.

New Threads