A few more snail questions

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
1. My mystery snails all seem to be growing rapidly. I think, on the single colors, it's not as obvious. Question, for my striped guys, it seems that they almost have an under layer of new growth, so there is a distinct line on the shell from the old and new growth. Normal or something I should worry about? I can easily get pics if needed, since that may not be the best description.

2. How do I know if my tiny horned nerite is dead? He hasn't been moving, but doesn't smell. I don't know if something that small would actually smell. This is the first time I've seen him not either suctioned on to something or moving around. It looked like he fell from somewhere higher in the tank yesterday, and ended up upside down, so maybe he's just recovering?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like some shell erosion and or new growth which is fairly common in mystery snails to start seeing "ridges" after about the first year. They do need calcium so if you are not supplementing, it would be good to do so. There are several methods you can go about this. First is through diet ( feed green calcium rich veggies such as zucchini, broccoli, etc )
or you can use a cuttle bone ( the kind birds use for their beaks ) in a media bag inside your filter, or you can buy liquid calcium and dose as needed ( you would check levels kh, etc with a test kit )

As for your nerite snail - you can take it out and if you see it retracting when out of the water, chances are its still alive. If you touch the foot and there's no movement, probably dead. My nerites sometimes do not move for a day or two. I think its just laziness??????

OP
Bithimala

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yup, my guys are getting plenty of calcium (at least they really should be). Cuttlebone in the filter, diet currently is alternating between green beans, sinking discs (no calcium there really, but they love them), spinach, and snail jello.

The nerite is completely retracted right now as far as I can tell. He didn't retract when I pulled him out earlier to try to get a better look, but he wouldn't have had any room to go back further into the shell.

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pictures would help for me on the mystery snails, just to get a better idea of what you mean. It's not uncommon for them to have a demarcation line between old and new growth, since I'm sure your water chemistry is different from mine.

Just make sure your nerite is right side up and put him somewhere he won't get knocked over for now, if he's alive he'll come out eventually. If he's gone I doubt he'll cause any ammonia spikes or anything, there's musty not that much to a snail that size.

OP
Bithimala

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here's a pic of the little purple one. It looks like new growth to me, but since I didn't really notice this on Whatley, wanted to make sure.

The little nerite is the right way, so if he's functional, can easily start moving when he wants to.

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmmm, it looks like he may actually be getting less calcium than he was here. ...is it just the picture or is the new growth thinner than the rest of his shell?

OP
Bithimala

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It looks like it's slightly under it, like it's layered. I don't know if it's actually thinner. Any good way to check on that?

Also, if you think they need more calcium, I'm open to suggestions on how. I could pick up this if you think it would be good.

They're eating their veggies regularly. I could also move the cuttlebone out of the filter and into the tank, if that would make a difference? It's behind the filter media right now.

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm guessing it's just not as thick as previous growth and that's why it appears to be growing under it. You might bump up your calcium a tiny bit. It's probably nothing to really worry about except that as they get older their shells seem to get a little thinner anyway (especially if it's an egg laying mama) so you want to keep them as strong and thick as you can. It might just be because they're growing rapidly too, either way I'm sure they'd appreciate a calcium boost

OP
Bithimala

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, liquid calcium, or something else you'd suggest?

And is this the test kit I should be getting?

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's the one I have along with the gh test. The one I think would have been more useful is the calcium test but I still need to get one ordered.

I tried Kents marine liquid calcium for a while but all the snails seemed unhappy whenever I added it so I stopped. I use powdered calcium carbonate for people right now, I haven't noticed any improvement in the old guy's shells (they aren't exactly growing either though) but the young ramshorn look a lot better :/ Everyone reacts better with the powder at least so I'm going to keep up with that and see where it goes.

I forget, are you adding calcium to their jello?

OP
Bithimala

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I added ground up cuttlebone to the jello. Couldn't find any calcium without the vitamin D in it. Maybe I should just add a few more pieces of cuttlebone to the tank?

Could you suggest what calcium test you'll be getting. Everything I've seen has been focused around saltwater tanks, and not sure if there would be issues using it for fresh water.

Val

Reaction score
I know the white weekend feeders are like ~50% Calcium.. check if that would help!
Just a suggestion

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only problem with the weekend feeders is that
A: they also have food in them so I'd worry more about water quality using them..
B: from what I've gathered via research they're basically plaster of Paris which is the wrong kind of calcium for consumption, it's not absorbed correctly I believe

Ground up cuttlebone should work in the jello I'd think. I use NOW brand powdered calcium carbonate found at health food stores (green acres, natural grocers, whole foods etc). Adding another cuttlebone to the tank somewhere they can munch on it couldn't hurt either.

The apI calcium test is what I'm looking at, it says it's good for tanks with corals etc but I doubt it would matter testing it with freshwater. The one thing I can't find anywhere (and believe me, I've searched) is what a good calcium level is for snails. ...

OP
Bithimala

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, picked up a few things to try. I grabbed liquid calcium and more cuttlebone from the store on my way home. Figured I'd start with the liquid calcium to see how they felt about it, since I know you didn't have great luck. It's water change day, so I figured at most it would be a few hours if they hated it before some of it was pulled out. Keeping an eye on them, but everyone has perked up since I added it, and that was only a few minutes ago. Even the little gold one!!! Will probably put some of the cuttlebone directly into the tank as well.

For the calcium, so far I've only looked at the grocery store and CVS. I need to do a vitamin order soon (we typically order since it's so much cheaper), so I'll be checking there to see if they have any calcium without vit D in it.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom