clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Attachments

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi Boxermom! Hope and I were just looking at your pics! what a lush, pretty tank it is! Hope says your fish are "VERY gorgeous" - I agree. Is the big one with the neon tetras a puffer? Hope wants to know if your fish puff when you get close to it? Thanks for your time, Denise & Hope

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The one in the first two photos is a puffer, yes. Auriglobus modestus, aka golden puffer or bronze puffer. He's currently only about an inch and a half long. The other fish in the photos are white cloud mountain minnows. I have no neons.

Nope, the puffers don't usually puff unless they are stressed, although some of the larger ones do it just to exercise on occasion. Its not a good thing to try to make them puff, though, and its deadly if they puff out of the water and fill with air. That's why they should never be netted, only caught in a cup or container - never removed from the water.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Clown loaches should only be netted with great care as they have sharp barbs near their eyes that can get stuck in the net. Plecos should be netted with care. Lots of fish have pokey parts and/or sensitive parts that should only be netted with lots of care.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Interesting little tidbit, at least to me. My A.modestus puffers aren't. According to some puffer experts who have been discussing it, they are a similar, less common type called C.silus! What a lovely surprise!

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two, in separate tanks of course. Its very difficult to breed puffers. With the exception of dwarf puffers, lorteti and irrubescos, its almost impossible to tell the sex of the puffers. Additionally, because they are all highly aggressive, its not a good idea to put them together to experiment. So no, I won't be breeding them. DPs are often bred in aquaria, its extremely rare for any other species to do so.

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
What a fantastic aquarium! It looks very pleasing to the eye but especially to the fish

I never realized that clown loaches had barbs near the eyes an should be netted with caution if at all – I’ve got two of ‘em and never knew Thanks!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are special plastic solid fish "catchers" that are not nets made just for fish such as these. They are like dippers and come in several sizes. There is nothing for them to get hung up in. I have a set of them and they take a little getting used to but are quite easy to use once one gets used to them. I do use a net to "guide" my Otos into the small one as their fins are so delicate I do not like to "net" them.

Rose

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the fish catchers...The funny thing is that our LFS's are so poorly outfitted that I must admit I've never seen one...I may well have to make one myself and just tie a small cup to a stick...lol

Cheers,
Buzz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom