a few hiccups!!!

cutetravis

Reaction score
hey everyone, im new to this website and i wanna start by saying that it looks like a great bunch of people that love to help out. im 16 and i currently live on a farm in new zealand. i have a golden lab (buddy) , a jack russel (puppy), a black cat (sam) a white cat (speed), a wild, but now tamed kitten (ockey), 5 chinchillas (peanut, fluffybum, chin, chiller, Jellybean), 240 cows (un-named ahaha), 2 peach faced lovebirds (new and currently un-named, any ideas?) and 2 tropical fish, a betta (travis) and a pleco (BJ)

alrite, my story:
my boyfriend and i went on a weekend away to rotorua, on the way home, me, being an animal lover sees a sign and yells out "JAMIIEEE CAN WE BUY SUM FISHYS?" in my sweet "i want sumthing... pllleeeaaassseee" voice, so we end up going into the shop and walking out with a small panoramic tropical fish tank and 10 random fish. 300 dollars later.
so we get home and start to set the fish tank up... its takes a while but finally we think the fish are reAdy to go in.... first hiccup. we failed to realise that we had been sold a bung filter, meaning most of our new fishys perished. leaving only my bright purple Betta and my Pleco.
ok, so we got a new filter, got the tank all stabilised again and decided to buy a couple of fish to re-furnish the tank, when we went to get these 2 new fish, we learnt something that the original fish seller hadnt told us... most of the fish we originally purchased could not be in the tank with travis, our betta.
now, that was a learning curve, i am now wanting to grow some fairly easy and small live plants, any suggestions, i like the look of grass type plants?
and also, a list of fishys that i can put with travis would be great.

this was supposed to be our first adventure, our first proper responsibility as a couple, holy fishtank water, what a ride already.

love,
mel

cutetravis

Reaction score
a few hiccups

sorry, i posted this in the welcome forum :S
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey everyone, im new to this website and i wanna start by saying that it looks like a great bunch of people that love to help out. im 16 and i currently live on a farm in new zealand. i have a golden lab (buddy) , a jack russel (puppy), a black cat (sam) a white cat (speed), a wild, but now tamed kitten (ockey), 5 chinchillas (peanut, fluffybum, chin, chiller, Jellybean), 240 cows (un-named ahaha), 2 peach faced lovebirds (new and currently un-named, any ideas?) and 2 tropical fish, a betta (travis) and a pleco (BJ)

alrite, my story:
my boyfriend and i went on a weekend away to rotorua, on the way home, me, being an animal lover sees a sign and yells out "JAMIIEEE CAN WE BUY SUM FISHYS?" in my sweet "i want sumthing... pllleeeaaassseee" voice, so we end up going into the shop and walking out with a small panoramic tropical fish tank and 10 random fish. 300 dollars later.
so we get home and start to set the fish tank up... its takes a while but finally we think the fish are reAdy to go in.... first hiccup. we failed to realise that we had been sold a bung filter, meaning most of our new fishys perished. leaving only my bright purple Betta and my Pleco.
ok, so we got a new filter, got the tank all stabilised again and decided to buy a couple of fish to re-furnish the tank, when we went to get these 2 new fish, we learnt something that the original fish seller hadnt told us... most of the fish we originally purchased could not be in the tank with travis, our betta.
now, that was a learning curve, i am now wanting to grow some fairly easy and small live plants, any suggestions, i like the look of grass type plants?
and also, a list of fishys that i can put with travis would be great.

this was supposed to be our first adventure, our first proper responsibility as a couple, holy fishtank water, what a ride already.

love,
mel

ncje

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gday mate, well the aquarium was steering you wrong from the outset. First I would say that even though the filter wasnt operating you would have lost your fish anyway. The tank should cycle (see fishtank begginers guide on the tab at the bottom of this page). That will basically sort you out for now. I wouldnt recommend adding anymore fish at this stage until you go through it and check off the must dos.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: a few hiccups

Your tank needs to be cycled first. Don't add any more fish before you cycle your tank.

Here is some info on cycling your tank:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Hope this helps. (sorry if you know about this anyway :-[)

For plants, Java Ferns are good and Crypts are nice too. The plants you decide to get depend on what kind of lighting you have in your tank. How many WPG do you have?

Gwenz

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

cutetravis said:
sorry, i posted this in the welcome forum :S
If you want, I can delete the post from the other forum, OR you can just modify your post on the other board, leaving only the information about yourself as an introduction. Just log in to Fish Lore, go to your topic, and once you click on it, there will be an option "modify".

Besides, welcome to Fish Lore As Gwenz has said, please read about the Nitrogen Cycle. Also read the beginner's articles which can be found on the top of this board.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome To Fishlore

cutetravis

Reaction score

hi there, yes pleasse delete my other post

i havent yet purchased any lights but what would be a good suggestion, i read about 2-5 watts per gallon? is this correct?

just read the nitrogen cycle and am now going to pet shop to buy a test kit ;Dthanks very much guys!!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Instead of deleting your other thread from the other board, I merged the two topics into one (right here), because many people have already replied to your message in the other board. I hope that's OK.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom